The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
craig32

Questions regarding transfer cases

Greetings all! I have a question or two for the square body guys about 4WD units. I bought a 56 awhile back that had what was supposed to be 76 Blazer axles under it. I had no intentions on keeping it that way and removed the front axle (apparently a corporate 10 bolt with lock out hubs, not a Dana 44) in favor of a stock straight axle. The transfer case, which should be a NP 205, and what I think is a SM465 transmission remain. I did get a new transmission of the same type without the transfer case, but it has no crossmember mounts. The PO hacked out the original crossmember and fabbed up one that goes under the transfer case, so it'll be a little while yet til I get it changed.
Sooo, my question(s) about the transfer case: There was no knob on the shifter, or floor plate with it indcating shift pattern, how do I know what gear it is in, by the positioning of the plungers or otherwise? If it is in 4 high, will the yoke for the now vacant front axle still turn? I ran it all last summer (not many miles though) and it worked good, just not the greatest milage, but the 400 might account for that.

Thanks!

Craig32 (from the Task Force section)
craig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Questions regarding transfer cases

The transfer case does add some drive train drag...it's more moving parts. The 205 pattern is,from back to forward,4 low-Neutral-2 high-4 high. So,you want to be the first notch forward from neutral.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
russgt

You can visually id which transfer case you have. It should be cast iron from that vintage. This is a picture of the 205, the 203 will not have small round cover with 3 bolts.

20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
craig32

Russgt, yes, that is the one. I removed the lever awhile ago, but I still have it. The case has a crossbar attached to two 'plungers' with a hole in the middle, does it move both sides equally? And will the yoke for the front axle turn in 2 high? I mistakenly asked if it would turn in 4 high in my original post!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

It may turn some but just a lazy spin slower than everything else. It won't be engaged and will not turn if held in place. Be careful how you check in case it is actually engaged.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
craig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The transfer case does add some drive train drag...it's more moving parts. The 205 pattern is,from back to forward,4 low-Neutral-2 high-4 high. So,you want to be the first notch forward from neutral.
I think you had the direction backwards. Neutral seemed to be the second click back, making 2WD the third. It would not go all the way forward, as the transmission hump in the older truck was not the same as the newer applications. I just checked it this morning and the TC was engaged, so I put the shift lever back on it and moved it and now the front yoke spins freely with the truck parked in gear. Apparently I had driven it for a year with the transfer case in 4 high. And thanks greatly for all your help!