The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
kmfb

lifter/cam issues

So I have a 79 c10, 2wd shortie, 350/700r4. Ever since I bought it back in September it has had a light ticking noise. Kinda sounds like an exhaust leak. Well after doing some searching around on the headers for possible leaks I came to the conclusion that its an out of whack rocker. I had my neighbor come over and check the lash on my rockers and everything was fine but I still had a tick. We yanked the coil and spun the motor to visually see the stroke of the rockers and he thought it looked like a rocker wasn't coming up all the way on the number 7 cylinder. So if I have had this ticking for some time now, is it safe to say there is possibly some lobe damage to my current cam? It seems to run fine, its just annoying.

So now im at my current crossroad, do I look for a motor to build or do I yank the intake and water pump and swap out the cam/lifters and springs(just to be sure everything matches). Im very green when it comes to cams but I know my heads cant flow enough for a huge cam. When I ran my numbers they were from a mid 60s corvette I believe and they were nothing special. What mild cam would work well for a daily driven, non towing street truck. Im not looking for a power house just yet, just something reliable. Any advice??
kmfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
mud.man.rj

Re: lifter/cam issues

If the rest of the engine is fine just do a cam/lifter/timing chain swap. In the case of what you mentioned I usually use a hydraulic Comp cam 268H, nice all around and good to 5,800 Rpm with a bit of a rumble to it at idle and still works good for towing. I have even dropped down to the 262 for more torque range with a bit less Rpm range. They are both in the Extreme Energy catagory, 1st 268H part# is 12-242-2 and the step down cam for more torque is part#12-238-2. They both work well without a stall.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
kmfb

Re: lifter/cam issues

Thanks for the response! Well i ordered the complete cam kit, now i just have to hook up my tach and clean out the garage. This is a good time to do my electric fan and aluminum radiator swap as well!
Posted via Mobile Device
kmfb is offline   Reply With Quote