The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
master 1969 c10

PLEASE READ Need help on squareing up my bed

Hi everone i am in a little jam at this time i have been out of work sents 1-16-12 we are liveing off wifes income i payed off my house off last year thats the only thing saving me for now i have worked at the same company sents 1979 and in 1995 we moved to columbus ohio to open up a warehouse for my company in 97 i hurt my back so they put me on a dest job witch i was doing a great job all that time but over the years my manager didn't like me and it took him 10 years of doing or saying things to me. Until.i just couldn't deal with him anymore. But with my back pain and dealing with him i had a bad break down with my depression and axxiety back on 1-16 my doctors took me out of work and no one seems to want to pay me. I have great doctors who are fighting for me.But bwc and my short disabilty won't pay me for one reason or another.but the reason i am telling u this is i need help squring up my bed it is all new stuff it is off by inch i found a guy that has a body shop that said it no big deal but it is if u don't have the money u can't take it there. If someone close to the columbus ohio could help me put the truck back togather that wood help me out so much i have a car trailer i could bring it to u as long as i could aford the gas $ . I really hate to ask i have been working on this the last 3 years so if there is anyone out there who has the time to help out a follow brother truck rebuilder . I pray every day for god to fight my battles for me. The only reason i am writing this is to help me keep me from stressing out. Help me keep my mind on something good. Sorry about my spelling it not the best. Please pray for me that my company will make this write with me. Thank you all doug
master 1969 c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

Re: PLEASE READ Need help on squareing up my bed

TTT, Any of you guys around Doug that could help him out, he is a GREAT guy. We have had alot of dealings, always a man of his word. PLEASE if anyone around ther could help, it would be appreciated!!!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
master 1969 c10

bump
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
hugger6933

Doug I can't do much for you from where I ambut you say the bed is off,in what way? Not to sound smart or anything now keep in mind you see it and I dont. I run into this kind of problem almost daily in rebuilding late model wrecks and restoring older muscle era stuff. I have had simple problems that I have looked at so long the answer gets blurred[at least in my mind]but is easy to see. Let us start off by taking some measurments. If you are able, I know about back pain, [I see a chronic pain care doctor] get under the truck and take a measurment from the same spot on each side near the rear from the frame to the rocker. Make a note of that and move to the other side take the measurement there. They should be the same or at least very close to the same. If thety arent the cab needs to shift to one side to help line up the bed. This can be done by loosening the cab bolts and moving the cab over . You need only to go half of the distance difference. Now if I am way off please forgive me like I said I cant see you trouble and need a little more help from you on where the gap problem is .
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
master 1969 c10

Hi and thanks for careing the only thing on my frame at this time is the bed it all put togather and when i take the measurement from doing the x like measure rr to lf of bed then do LR TO RF it is off by little over inch and this is all new aftermarket stuff every peace is new
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
odog

Ok just a thought. You said the bed is all aftermarket stuff. Did you get new bedsides and bolt them in place? If so can you loosen the bolts and then take your measurements, get it squared and then start tightening the bolts up. I replaced the bedside on mine and it was out a little and I had to do this. It seemed to help as the holes had some slop to them. Hugger is right, sometimes these things turn out to be something simple that we just dont see. Hope you get it fixed. And hope everything else works out for you.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
master 1969 c10

I have try that with the bolts loose it like I might have to make some holes bigger the drivers side is good I think the passenger side bed side needs to go in I think I need to drill some holes bigger so it will move in more.I no a body man wood think of this as a baby step maybe i am just over thinking this
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
hugger6933

your not over thinking , you are on the right track. Before you drill the holes to a bigger size, think about oblonging the holes instead with a die grinder or a file type bit in a drill. Slotting the holes in the way they need to go so that the washers on your bedpanels will still be effective. I have even had to move some holes, grind out slots to get the holes where I needed them and then welded up the access to actually move the entire hole where I needed it so it would still look factory but that my be a little excessive in your case and keep in mind that if you are a inch off on the tape going 1/2 that in an X pattern will get it. your on the right track and about to get this problem solved and when you do you may be so relived that it will spark you into more work to to see the rewards. Good luck and happy sanding. Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
master 1969 c10

thanks Jim talking to u guys helps I will check it out somemore on sunday my freind that help me went to try out his new 30 foot campen trailer this weekend. thanks doug
Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
hugger6933

Take the time to loosen all of the bolts, not just the ones in the front panel. I know it will take longer to do it that way but with all of them loose, you can move it by yourself