The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #26
DBLSPRT68

Re: Squarebody club cab in Phx Pick N Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
I went and looked at it today. it was a pile of crap, half of it was fiberglass, the roof had about 6 lbs of bondo and the interior trim was all damaged. Not the quality of truck I expected. So I'm on the fence about buying it now. I could put a sliding ragtop in to solve the roof issue, but im not sure I want a ragtop. and where they add on the extended cab they did a real hack job. So I would pretty much have to rebuild the whole thing. they hide all the horrible body work with tons of bondo, and all the horrible welds with interior trim. and the pinch welds on the bottom dont line up. and since my truck lays pinch thats sort of a big deal.
That's how they were built. Mine is the same way. If I keep it (I really want to) I want to correct all those area's and make it nice and tight. They are rare and attract a lot of attention. If that is what you are wanting........ All you need is a LWB frame, the converted cab, that converted bed; or you can use a regular short bed. Think about it some more before it's gone. A few years ago I tried to buy a different 85 extended cab and bed from a junkyard. They wouldn't do anything until they started to pull up the row to be crushed; then they were going to call me. They never called, I guess someone forgot....... That one is gone. I did get a second chance, and snapped that one up quick. It's in much better shape too Just my thoughts......
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
1774btcrew

I think a lot of these had that issue wjth the roofs. I think the roof flexes a lot and needs a roof skin like the crew cabs with ribs in it. When my father in law had his we were going to modify crew cab roof. It just never got done before he sold it. W
Posted via Mobile Device
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
HarleyHauler

I went down to the Pick A Part today to check this truck out for myself, and I was surprised that its in much nicer condition than I expected.

As you can see from the pics I took today below, the entire dash is missing, but both doors are there with elect. harnesses, and even the rear jumpseats are still in place. No rust that I could see anywhere.

I asked them about selling the entire truck, they said they could not sell it with the frame, but they would sell the entire cab intact for $350

Someone needs to go save this truck!

HarleyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #29
broey
Square

you didnt look close enough, that truck is a pile.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
DBLSPRT68

Sure, it might take some work..... But they aren't everywhere. They made about 2500 of them from one in 1983 to 87 combined! That's all types, all years. You don't need the bed either, a SWB bed will work. It might be worth getting to sell later for a profit. Just make sure you can get get a title for it! I've got an extra rear panel if someone needs it. David
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #31
Da88burban
GM's 4 Life

^^I agree. I mean (going by pics) I have seen much worst restored on here and those were single cabs. Also I would love to see a ext. cab with round eyes. I have never seen one before.

'54 Chevy 3100 "Just a Mess"
'74 Chevy Super 10 468BB "One Fast Rust Bucket"
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT
'88 Chevy burb "Tha Big Turd"
'93 GMC Safari "Bone Crusher"

.................____________
.............../______l___|___\____
;,;,;,;,;,;,;|__(O)_| __l___l__(O) |
Da88burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
broey
Square

nah, I get it that its rare, but... its not worth it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #33
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

A short bed will not work. Those used a long bed and they cut the front only. A short bed would be to long in the front and to short in the rear.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
Dieselholic92

Oh come on, I'd say $350 for the cab is worth it, especially considering how rare they are. If you really wanted to, you could probably even talk them down more than that. I say someone needs to save it.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #35
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
A short bed will not work. Those used a long bed and they cut the front only. A short bed would be to long in the front and to short in the rear.
I was just gonna stretch the frame under the cab of my shortbed. it would actually be way better than the long bed frame they used. that way the low part of the frame would still be the full length of the cab.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #36
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselholic92 View Post
Oh come on, I'd say $350 for the cab is worth it, especially considering how rare they are. If you really wanted to, you could probably even talk them down more than that. I say someone needs to save it.
Im telling you, I spent a good hour inspecting the cab, and it's not worth it. Im sorry but the time and money it would take to make the cab decent far exceeds the resale value. I talked to more than a few car builders and they all say the same thing. "not worth it" in theory it would be awesome but financially it doesn't make sense.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #37
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

To be really blunt here, these square excabs were hack jobs the moment they were done at whichever conversion place did that one. The amount of body filler they used is just unreal. I can honestly remember way back yonder and we had one come in to our shop that was smacked down the side, was probably a 2 year old truck at that point. The fact you had to modify a new bedside to resemble what was on the truck, fabricate your own cab corner, deal with the stupid amount of body filler... we passed on the job.
Sure it'd be cool to have, but you'd have about the same amount of work if you started with a crew or regular cab and made your own extended cab.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #38
bodydropped68

I wish I had the cash to save this rare truck.
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote