The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
93FatBottom

1984 454 from motorhome, trying to decide if a soft rebuild should be done

I have the 454 on the stand, it had been placed on hold dude to a death in the family, but I just got back on it Monday afternoon. I had previously screwed up my crank snout threads, so I tapped the treads today and torqued the balancer bolt down and all is well again, so tomorrow or Wednesday if I have time, I will finish pulling my crank sprocket off so I can continue my upgrade to double roller. In the process of trying to remove the crank sprocket previously, that's when I damaged the crank threads, and I also turned my crank, and messed up my crank timing with my camshaft, so I have to adjust that. My dad and I got to talking about taking care of everything the first time so I don't need to worry about it anymore. I have 3 exhaust ports with burned oil residue, so I know I either need valve seals or piston rings. I'm also told I need to switch from domed pistons to flat tops, so I was considering upgrading to a set of Keith Black flat tops and piston rings, I don't need bearings all my rod and main bearings look almost brand new, clearances are all within spec, so those will be left alone. I already have the new rear main seal installed, though I haven't torqued the rear main cap down yet, and I'm taking my oil pump in to a shop this week to have the oil pump pick up welded to the pump (I don't see how these things could back out of the bump, especially after how freakin' hard and long I had to beat on the installer tool to get it all the way pressed into that pump!) Now my dad has me thinking I should pull my camshaft and upgrade it with a new comp xtreme energy 262 shaft, but I'm not sure if that cam would be the right cam for my motor. I don't plan to build a monster, I just want to have a good torque monster to spin my 40's pretty good. I'm planning an edelbrock intake and a worked over Quadrajet, since its already on my motor, and I'm told by numerous people having the Q-jet rebuilt is better than buying a monster edelbrock.

So does anyone have any recommendations? Should I run the stock RV cam already in the motor, or swap it out? The heads would have to come off anyways to get a nice valve job. How likely is it that my piston rings are shot in those three cylinders? It's a relatively low mileage motor, so I'm hoping it would be bad valve seals and not piston rings just yet...

Also, how do you guys reinstall the crank sprocket? My friend works at an engine shop and he says he just heats it with a torch lubes the inside and taps it on with a brass hammer, should I use that process, or buy the stupid tool from Summit? Pulling the old gear off is next on the list, and then I need that new sprocket put on immediately, so I guess this question is the most critical haha. Thanks guys!
93FatBottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
1986c10

Re: 1984 454 from motorhome, trying to decide if a soft rebuild should be done

The oil coming out the exhaust ports could be your valve guides as well. If you have to pull the heads anyway, have you machinist check the guides as well. If you pull the springs off the heads your self, a bad guide will let the valve wobble a tad in the guide so they are fairly easy to tell. Cam is up to you, if you want a little more power then go for it. You can get a good cam and lifter set for 150 but you will have to get new valve springs to match. DONT HIT HIT THE SPROCKET ON. You can damage or break the thrust bearing and the crankshaft. Use some heat and the installer tool to put it on. If u dont wanna buy the tool, cut a 2" length piece of metal tubing that will slide over the crank snout but with a smaller outside diameter then the sprocket so it can push against the sprocket. Use your crank bolt and a large washer that is larger in diameter to tighten the screw and washer to the pipe to drive the pipe against the sprocket, use some heat too and it should go on no problem. U may have to use alot of washers to shim the crank bolt to the washer and pipe. Of course buying the installer tool will be much easier but i have more time then money...
1986 C10 - lwb vortec 355- sold
1982 C10 - swb project- sold
1986c10 is offline   Reply With Quote