The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
powerT

E3 spark plugs

Anyone tried the e3 plugs
Thinking im going to put some in my sons 83 with 305
Posted via Mobile Device
powerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: E3 spark plugs

If you put them on your motor, you'll be laughed off the board!!

My opinion:

Use some NGK's.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
TheApocalyptican

Some might have had some luck with 'em helping something. I tried some, a while back now, and they worked just like regular old plugs. I'd say, don't waste your money.
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
INSIDIOUS '86

They look cool on a trophy or in the trash. Fact is most premium plugs kill power but last longer. We're just a base auto lite or Ngk are great
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
csb#356

Electricity will take the path of least resistance, so even if there is 3 electrodes or whatever they have, All the voltage will jump to one. The only thing I could think of that those would help is if you have problems with fouling plugs, maybe giving the spark 3 places to go to ground would help if one electrode gets too much pookey on it, it could use another.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Number21

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb#356 View Post
Electricity will take the path of least resistance, so even if there is 3 electrodes or whatever they have, All the voltage will jump to one. The only thing I could think of that those would help is if you have problems with fouling plugs, maybe giving the spark 3 places to go to ground would help if one electrode gets too much pookey on it, it could use another.
They're good in 2 stroke engines for this reason.....but not a truck.

You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill,
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe de Ville.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
wyattglock

I used one in a lawnmower once. After I rebuilt that due to the electrode making its own path of least resistance in the cylinder wall, I went back to Champion plugs for my mowers. I wouldn't even dream of running it in my truck after that incident.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
ericjon262

I've got them in my dually, they were on sale or something, and I didn't notice any difference at all, honestly, I'm getting ready to put new plugs in, and I'm going to go with some 'delco's or some ngk's.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #9
gramps

Delcos are not "delco" they are simply reboxed ngk, champion, and autolite. If the plug in the acdelco box is black it's a autolite, ngks are typically your Platinum/iridium series plugs half of them say ngk on the reverse side where ac delco is written lol. The champion Plugs usually have the metal colored threads w/ the stampings of champion Plugs outer edge of the seat.

That said, there is nothing wrong with platinum or iridium plugs, they will "last" longer however you won't see any performance gain.
As for single or double platinum plugs, that refers to where the platinum is located on the plug. Single platinums have a small "puck" of platinum on the receiving end of the electrode, where the spark "hits" and is fine for use in our sbc's.
Double platinums were designed for newer style ignition system where the spark can be initiated in either direction, and as such offer no gain to our old hei systems, other than spending more money than needed.
Iridium fine point plugs are similar to double platinums where there is iridium on both the point and electrode of the plug, typically run fairly high heat ranges and in modern ignition systems last a long time. Very expensive and not needed for our trucks.

The 2 or 3 or even 4 Prong plugs like the e3 are for fouling issues and were actually designed for use in aircraft engines decades ago so that if you started to foul out or burnt up an electrode you wouldn't stall out.

That said unless you have an aircraft or a vw(oe specified and equiped) or keep fouling out a plug save your cash and get simple copper plugs, or single platinum. And spend the extra on a good set of wires/cap/rotor
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
willywoo28

Good question, and yes all the posts have truth to them. I have made quite a few expensive "mistakes" using the bosch, E3, and autolite extreme performance only to have psycho-schematic gains in power. For the most part. I have found that NGK is the best for non-fouling and quick start, then autolite/ champions.... the nice thing is that to gain more power you can play with the indexing, timing and gap of the plugs to get the best returns in hp... start doing some research and youll find some good reads on the forum here for gains in hp through tuning. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
willywoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Firebirdjones

I don't care for the Platnum plugs, the "puck" that Gramps eludes to on the ground strap, I've seen those fall off and when I'm lucky I've found them stuck to the tops of the pistons upon tear down. Who knows where the others went....

Copper is the best conductor of electricity, anything else will cost you spark energy (and power) such as the platnum plugs. Platnum will last longer however. Just depends on how often you want to check/change your plugs.

I prefer plain ole copper Autolites over anything, I've found their heat ranges are accurate which is a tuning tool I use. I also prefer to cut the ground strap back slightly for better flame travel. Autolites racing plug already has this done if you want to spend a few pennies more.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
butch86

i have seen where the E3s burnt a hole in the stock piston. i would never use them in anyting. i use regular old nkg in old style heads and autolite in vortec heads. i always index my plugs so the open end faces the intake valve. just my way of doing things.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
86c20

i have been useing the e3 in my truck for 3 years now. i have no complants. tried them because of vary bad local gas. was changing plug every 3-6 months. now i have a some what smother runner and that is about it. i find they dont foul as ez but thats it. just my .02. later, mike
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
silvereagle07

I bought some just to try them. I have been running those in my wifes Jeep and in my daily driver for two years with no problems.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote