The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
renegade8720

Vin Plate

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine bought a 68 Chevy step side. He has the title, but someone had removed the vin plate for we assume for door jam work.

What options does he have?

Thanks,
Renegade
renegade8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Vin Plate

oooh. that kinda blows. I'm assuming he asked the seller for it after the fact at least?
Since not familiar with TN vehicle laws - assume you are a title state - so I'd try to find other confirmation of the VIN such as: SPID plate in the glove box, frame stamping (I'm not sure where/if 67-72's stamped them, but 66 stamps them along the forward driver side frame rail - read from the upper horizontal surface (i.e. as you look down into the engine compartment from above)). Then cross your fingers and hope they all match the title.... If they do, I'd then get Police/Highway Patrol, etc to confirm/document it and run to DMV to transfer title. And then, never sell it again...

Actually - once you verify it's kosher, it might be possible to get a new replacement one made, but I'm not sure of the legality of that to be honest. SPIDs are repro'ed very nicely by some folks on here for restoration, not for "foolin", purposes.

Bottom line - at a minimum, hopefully his glovebox SPID VIN matches - with that, he should be ok for DMV purposes - the above stuff is just gravy. If it's a frame swap, don't sweat it - the cab is the important number - so make sure the SPID matches and that should (hopefully) be enough to scratch DMV's itch.

I'd call DMV, as a "concerned citizen, with no name" first, and see what the deal is. If your buddy is screwed, then I'd take the vehicle back, with a cop...
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
AusTx68

You should be able to find the VIN in the same location. Top of the drivers sides frame rail. You may have to use a wire brush to clean up the area.

There's a photo in this posting: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193977
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
chipflyer

Since it is technically illegal to remove the VIN tag and he now doesn't have one, I would doubt the truck could ever be titled in any state. It is also illegal to make your own VIN tag and I know of no one who would even try to make one. The SPID is not anything that would be used for titling purposes, just the frame number and the Vin tag. If you brought that truck in to this state to get it titled it would more than likely be impounded immediately and you would be in trouble. A guy on here from KS several years back got in big trouble with the DMV because the VIN tag was attached with the wrong rivets. Tell your friend to sell it back or find another donor truck with a good title and make a legal truck out of the two.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote