The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
oldstuffrunsbetter

Parts fell out on a test drive

I'm working on a 1964 Chevy half ton with a 6 cylinder and a 3 speed on the column:

I've been tuning up my poorly running 6 cylinder 230 over the last few days. I've been getting a few issues corrected. So tonight, I decided to try a test run out on the road. Problems occurred:

So I'm running 45mph down the 4 lane highway when I hear a "ker-chunk", and see a part bouncing after me in my rear view mirror. I didn't quite know if I had lost a part, or if it's a wrench I had forgotten to remove from the engine compartment, or if it was a piece of trash I ran over. Well, of course, it was a part off the truck.

At the stop light, I push in on the clutch. Uh oh - no clutch. It goes right to the floor, and nothing disengages. I manage to come to a stop, and kill the engine on the side of the road.

So yeah - It turns out to be a part of the clutch linkage - the threaded adjustment rod that pushes on the transmission yoke. I was able to dodge traffic and run back and find my part on the road. I crammed it back in place, and limped home in first gear.

I don't know what holds this piece in other than spring tension on the pedal return. Are there any clips?

Also, when I found my part in the middle of this 4 lane highway and put it back where it belonged, it seemed to go in too easy. It was about 1 inch out of adjustment. My pedal nearly went to the floor, and what clutch I did have left seemed to be way overly sensitive.

So what the heck happened? Why did this thing fall out? Could there be another cause as to why this fell out?

Long post. Long story. Thanks for listening. -Dan
oldstuffrunsbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: Parts fell out on a test drive

Not sure but maybe this will help - it's the schematic from LMC - it might provide some info regarding the setup or part you are asking about.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=80
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Although the following photo shows a hydraulic slave cylinder, most mechanical clutch linkage shares a similar retaining spring between the fork and the linkage, specifically to prevent the pushrod from falling free from the fork socket.

The following diagram shows the retaining spring (item #14 just above the pushrod) on a 1967 Chevelle setup. I would suspect your truck should also have one:

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/fi...d_push_rod.pdf
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
padresag

if you click on the link and scroll down you will see the exploded manual linkage
http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/fi...d_push_rod.pdf
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
jocko

is it possible the part that goes between the linkage and the clutch fork went sailing and you didn't find it and therefore missed putting it back in? It's a wing nut looking thing (I forget the name...) that provides the interface for the linkage with the clutch fork.

If your cotter pin pops off the linkage, the only thing holding things together is the return spring - one bump and it will all fall out. Here's a pic of the part I'm talking about. (yellow arrow)
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Like markeb01 said in post #3, there's a spring that keeps the clutch linkage bits together. I've had that spring break, not be put back in, etc. and the linkage fall apart.

That sounds like what happened to you. The spring costs about $1.00...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Woogeroo

Well, that is why you do test drives.

old truck are fun!

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
biohazardbill

I am about to remove a linkage assembly today, let me know if you need any or all of it (no charge other than shipping)

Edit, went to look at it and I already had it out... the linkage and the rod are the only things that are there, it does not have the piece pictured above in post number 5

Last edited by biohazardbill; 01-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

An almost identical situation happened to me last summer.

In my situation the nut that holds the bell crank pivot to the frame came loose and the pivot on the bell crank (z-bar) moved forward in the slot it sits in. The rod fell out of the clutch fork (and onto the frame, not the road) and I had no clutch.

Check the bell crank mount on the frame on your truck - you might find it loose.
Greg
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
oldstuffrunsbetter

Thanks for all the very good ideas, friends. I sure appreciate all the input, and similar stories of woe.

It appears I am definitely missing a few parts - they probably fell out, too, but were too small to see as I was speeding away. (Speeding at 45mph???)

I bet the cotter pin that holds the "linkage swivel" to the bellcrank fell out and started this whole mess. That allowed the push rod to fall out. I'm also missing that wing nut lookin' thing that pushes on the clutch fork. Good news - I still have the return spring.

I checked over all the other linkage parts - all seem tight and in tact. I hope I can find a new wing nut thingy, a new cotter pin, and get back to business.

This ol' truck sure has some personality. It seems every other week it's giving me a fit of some type. Her and I need to some sort of resolution soon, but it's all in good fun.

Cell phones sure are a good thing on "test drives".
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
jbgroby

what color is your seat now?
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
oldstuffrunsbetter

Ha! I laughed out loud at that one - the wife is wondering what I'm doing.

Yeah - trying to come to a stop with 3rd gear still engaged with a red stop light in front of you is a little disheartening. Good thing I'm still working some kinks out of that 230. Even then, what is it - 140hp tops?

Thanks for the good chuckle.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
b2948kevin

You've got great advice already, but I have some pics of this area in my build thread that pay help out a little bit. Additionally, when I was working in this area, I used the LMCtruck.com catalog for a reference because they have a pretty good parts diagram in there. That spring is a must to keep everything in place.
b2948kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Talking Re: Parts fell out on a test drive

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
oldstuffrunsbetter

1Bad62Pro - - Very cool picture. I'm going to print that out and make my own bumper sticker.

b2948kevin - - And very cool thread on your build. I am always impressed with threads of this nature on this forum. I found the pictures of the clutch linkage within yours, and it helps out for sure.

Thanks again, all. You have set me up for a win. I hope to reply back soon stating I'm back on the road again.

-Dan
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
oldstuffrunsbetter

Here's the update:

A nice day of weather here in Central Indiana. Since there's no snow on the side of the roads, I thought I'd try to find that wing-nut-lookin' thing pictured on post #5 that's somewhere in the ditch. I walked slowly up and down that stretch of highway for about a quarter mile. About the time I was ready to call it quits, a cop pulls over a car right next to my parked car (my parked car with hazards flashing on the side of the road). Knee jerk reaction - I look for my wallet. Uh oh - no driver's license. Even though I'm not the guy pulled over, I didn't want this cop asking me any questions about what I'm doing out here. I stroll back to the car, and zip on home before the cop finishes with his subject.

Never found my wing-nut-part, but maybe I can try again tomorrow.

Bummer.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
62 mark

I remember on more than one occasion on my old junker trucks the spring clip in the clutch fork where it pivots on th ball stud inside the bellhousing...well when that sucker breaks you instantly loose the cluch...rode home in 4th gear once.
62 mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #18
b2948kevin

Thanks oldstuff!

It's probably less work to just order another one up. Mine broke when I started to pull all of the clutch linkage off. I didn't know what it was until I got to putting everything back together and noticed that I was missing something that looked like what I found half of on the ground . I got all of my linkage parts from LMC and they fit in there just fine.

Let me know if you have questions about how this stuff goes in.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #19
oldstuffrunsbetter

You're definitely right, b2948kevin. It's easier to order my missing part than to find it out in the ditch. However, there's a certain amount of satisfaction that comes with finding that needle in the haystack. Perhaps my optimism was just too high.

I'll probably break down (pun intended) and order through LMC over the next few days.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
b2948kevin

Yeah, I hear you there. Well, good luck getting her going again. At least it's not a super difficult job to get done.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
1963c-10

Quote- Good thing I'm still working some kinks out of that 230. Even then, what is it - 140hp tops?

125hp @3400 & 210lbs torque @1600 if 230 economy option or 140hp @4400 & 220lbs torque@1600 for standard 230
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
62 C10shorty

Curious to hear an update on this fix!
Hey I got to adjust my slave cylinder linkage today too...I see the pictures in the shop manual are taken from inside the cab looking down at it. Anybody know if I have to go at it from above, or can I adjust everything from under the truck? Don't want to take up my flooring! Thanks.
62 C10shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
62 C10shorty

Update: easy access from the engine well, on passenger side. The shop manual people must have thought the picture of the slave cylinder linkage looked better being taken from inside the cab with transmission hump removed!
62 C10shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
ozzyman

Lost those parts on my 66 one day on the freeway, same thing happened, If I remember right one part was a dealer only part which took a few days on order to get
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
oldstuffrunsbetter

Yes indeed, it is time for an update. 62-C10-Shorty - you beat me to the punch.

Actually, you beat me to the punch by about a week. I was hoping to give an update in about a week from now, for I have a week of vacation coming up here and I'm bound to get some better work done.

Here's the update for now...
I ordered all the parts that did fell out of the truck from LMC. Parts arrived. I installed. Everything works as it should. I was on such a roll, I thought I'd do some carburetor tuning (which is another thread on here somewheres).

As of now, I need to work a little more on timing, but the truck does roll I'm happy to say.

Thanks to all for providing such a good working forum here.