The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
jocko

air bag ride question - off the wall

I have a dumb question from a guys whose truck only gets low when it falls off a jackstand...

I'm interested in air susp, but for the purpose of an improved ride - not necessarily for lowering. (sure, I might air it out at the occasional show, but...) (also, keep in mind my point of reference is a 66... I do recall my 72, when I had it, had a significantly better ride than my 66, but it's been awhile). Posting here because if I do this, it will be on an upcoming 67-72 )

So, what I'm asking is this - has anyone ever installed an air susp and kept the truck at approx stock ride height? What is the ride improvement like? How much does it feel more like a modern vehicle, etc?

I do realize that if I ever want to air it out, there are other mods required of course - but just asking for the purpose of wondering how much better the ride is - firmer, flatter, more responsive, yada yada.

I also realize this is quite an expensive way to skin the cat, but just curious. If I just wanted to lower it, I'd probably just go with a 3/5 or 5/7 kit and call it a day, but am specifically interested in the ride quality with bags, not the lowering aspect. I think the Trucks! show on tv got me interested in this idea because they ranted and raved about the improved ride on their 66 shortbed project.

Was gonna post this in jackyl's thread but didn't want to hijack - there's some good input there on kit selection.
Wish I had a bigger garage...
Thanks!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
firedog

Re: air bag ride question - off the wall

the ride on my truck is great, keep in mind the suspension is adjustable and there is a "sweet spot" with the pressure in the bags, i had the wheel alignment done on my truck at ride height but unless i am doing a long trip you seldom find yourself driving at factory height.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
oldschool18

the older trucks I think all were like bricks with wheels and airbags if done right will be a great improvment. if your any good with a welder and doing some fab work you can do it yourself if no you can buy almost everything to just bolt on but that can make your wallet skinny. do alot of research and ask alot of people with airbags with the same style truck your going to put them on and see how they did there set up and how they like it.

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Ackattack

Airbags is only one part of the equation. The shocks are just as important (with whatever type of springs you have).

That being said, my 68 on airbags rides significantly nicer than my 69 on 4" HD drop springs in the rear. Also, the shocks on my 68 are firmer performance shocks (new also) compared to who knows what/how old on my 69.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
jocko

thanks all! appreciate the input. Good point about the sweet spot - I'd kinda need to design around that. Not afraid to break out the welder. Good info for an upcoming project!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote