The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
lilbuddha

suburban z and 2 link help

so im new to this forum but i just picked up a 1985 suburban, gonna z it and cut off the bottom of the frame rails possibly these do look good just laying frame to,
my question is that is there anyone on here running a 2 link setup? and if so can i get some dimensions of it? i know a 2link is not ideal but this is just a daily driver that is getting a bag job for now,
i wanna preplan and pre fab most everything cause i only wanna take it off the road a weekend at a time if possible.

also with a 3inch z what are guys doing for dropping the motor or how much do you have to lift the trans tunnel,
any help would be amazing thanks
lilbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: suburban z and 2 link help

do some reading around here... I think you'll find that a 3" z is a little too much, and a 2 link in the rear is out of the question. Being a daily driver should be all the more reason to do it RIGHT.
Posted via Mobile Device

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
lilbuddha

well ive been reading 2 1/2 should get the the frame on the ground, but i wanna body it,
might even have to be bigger then a 3 inch but i have a spare crossmember so i might section the cross member some to start,
i know alot of people are against 2 links but ive had a few minitrucks and they work amazing, plus couple friends here have ekstensive 2 link kits and they work great on daily drivers,
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
broey
Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuddha View Post
well ive been reading 2 1/2 should get the the frame on the ground, but i wanna body it,
might even have to be bigger then a 3 inch but i have a spare crossmember so i might section the cross member some to start,
i know alot of people are against 2 links but ive had a few minitrucks and they work amazing, plus couple friends here have ekstensive 2 link kits and they work great on daily drivers,

extensive has nailed their 2 link set ups. there are tons of them out there that are solid dailys, the draw backs are only that there is pretty much no hot rodding allowed. burnouts and quick launches are dangerous. but for standard daily driving a 2 link from extensive would be safe. as far as measurements, thats all going to depend on how far away you start the link.

As fas as the crossmember, I think you have the right Idea already. I have been saying this for awhile now. Every Z should be paired with a pancaked crossmember. this will keep your motor further down from the hood and will look alot better. also, it helps keep the transmission low enough to not have to cut into the trans tunnel. you can also still utilize the factory steering this way.

check out my build thread for another option if you are a hand fabricator.
my crossmember got narrowed 2 inches and raised between the frame rails and welded into place. then the frame was boxed and upper control arm mounts welded to the frame. so I didnt have to z my frame at all to lay pinch. I did have to switch to rack and pinion though. click here
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
lilbuddha

awesome thanks man,
thats a great way of doing it the front crossmember, i might just stick with a chopped crossmember and a z just cause its tried and proven plus it looks quicker to me to do, i just need to hit the research button and figure out how much to chop the crossmember before getting bump steer issues.
ekstensive has a 2 link setup for the c10 but being in canada id hate to buy a ekstensive 2 link setup when the frames are different on the burbs, i was just gonna get joel at mindliss metalfab to build me some 2 link bars,
i just gotta do alot more researching i think to
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
broey
Square

Yeah, my boss has done at least 5 pancaked cross members. And I can tell you with certainty that the max you wanna go is 1.5 inches. here is a LINK.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
lilbuddha

thank you so much, that was very helpful, good thing i have 1.5 inch masking tape at work,
this helped alot on the front, since i dont think ill have huge concerns with transmission tunnel problems now,
now the rear end and i dont think ill have huge issues with that
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
broey
Square

awesome.. I look forward to seeing your build!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
broey
Square

oh yeah, It helps to push your wheels forward with your z. about an inch or so, to center the wheels.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
lilbuddha

i was already thinking that since i wanna try keep or modify a heater if i can,
im waiting on some air ride parts then do some measurements, but ill for sure make a build
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #11
andrewmp6

Vintage air makes a kit for the 73-87 trucks with everything under the dash.Or you want the junkyard way the 88-98 trucks i think is all under dash but i know a fox body mustang has everything under the dash.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote