The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
davepl

Distributor - which one?

My '70 402 had an HEI when I bought it, but I am restoring it to stock-appearing. As much as I want a factory-appearing setup, I'm not ready to live with points.

I like what I've read about the new Igniter III module (rev-limiter, multiple spark, etc, without a box). But I really don't want one of their chromed-out billet distributors.

Problem is, right now I don't have a stock distributor to convert. And I'm worried if I grab a junkyard unit I'm asking for trouble. So I'm wondering what I should do... grab an O'Reily auto parts remanufactured unit and then install an Igniter III module?

Put another way, what's my shortest and cheapest path to a factory-appearing small cap distributor with a modern module (like the Igniter III?)

Thanks!
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
stomper

Re: Distributor - which one?

I'd get this and throw electronics in it. If it needs new bushing(s) or whatever so be it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-CHEVY-C...91d88d&vxp=mtr
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
jocko

Pertronix does offer some pretty stock looking dizzies - but you're correct, the base is normally billet. If that's the only reason you don't want the Pertronix unit (i.e. you really DO want it except for its billet-ness), you could squirt a quick shot of satin silver (some eastwood metallic finish stuff would be great) on the exposed parts. Should not see much wear and would look stock.

However, I like the second approach - OReily's (simply to have a stock, sound, dostro to start with) and then add pertronix.

Least expensive approach is to go grab pretty much any distro off a junkyard small block and you're good to go. Rebuild it with a new rotor, toss the points plate, install the pertronix stuff, call it a day. (as stomper points out - excellent option)

Btw, there are a few threads on here where folks "dis" (no pun intended) the pertronix stuff, might be worth a search before you make up your mind.

I don't mind points, but my truck isn't a DD. The last 72 I had was a stock ignition, and it was my DD - seemed I was re-setting the points all the time. So on a DD, I would do the Oreily's (or any store like it) route + pertronix, or the junkyard route + pertronix.

One thing I prefer to do is this: Install the distro with points FIRST and get it running, THEN go back in and add the pertronix. Can help ID any basic distributor problems the distro may have before you install the pertronix unit - and thus help eliminate confusion after you add the pertronix stuff and all of a sudden nothing is working... If you two-step it, you'll know you may have gacked up the pertronix install and eliminated the possibly it's the basic distributor (or wiring, etc).

My 2 cents. I'm like you though - I like the stock look, HEIs look very out of place in an old engine compartment, but I also like an electronic ignition on a DD. So, that narrows down the options real quickly. If you consider cost as important - someone on here most certainly has a distro on one of the whole-truck-parting-outs on the parts for sale section. Might be worth a try at the dirt cheap route before shelling money out for OReily or a full Pertronix distrib.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
lil hoodlum

Dave, I'm glad you brought this question up. I will soon be rebuilding a motor for my ride, a 327. I want it to be factory/ stock appearing also. I had been wondering about the distributor also. Although, I do love my HEI and disk breaks.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Matt Cramer

I used to run a Pertronix on a Dodge Dart, and didn't have any trouble with it. I'd probably trust the Pertronix a bit more than a typical parts store rebuilt part, although my main worry with distributors is the advance curve is probably something random. Overall, I don't think it's a bad plan. Although starting with a distributor from the parts for sale section may be as good a starting point or better.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
davepl

I found and bought their new "Cast, Stock Look" unit for Chevy SB/BB. It claims to be molded after the original Delco distributors.

Found it about 10 minutes after finally asking here, which tends to be the way things work :-)

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/new/details.aspx?ID=143

I ordered the D7105600 that has the Igniter III module. It's supposedly multispark all through the RPM range, has an adjustable electronic rev limiter, and an adjustable vacuum advance cannister. No idea how the advance curve compares to the stock distributor, but my shop still has a distributor machine (not many do these days!).

It'll be a while before the engine hits the dyno, but I'll try to report back with my impressions once I get it running.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
jocko

Cool! They should have made it that way in the first place! Us truck folks aren't all about bling!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
sjarrett71

Dave, the cheapest thing to do would be to box up your HEI and ship it to me and I'll box up all my points stuff and send it to you! With an extra set of new points.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
rcbildr

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
My '70 402 had an HEI when I bought it, but I am restoring it to stock-appearing. As much as I want a factory-appearing setup, I'm not ready to live with points.

I like what I've read about the new Igniter III module (rev-limiter, multiple spark, etc, without a box). But I really don't want one of their chromed-out billet distributors.

Problem is, right now I don't have a stock distributor to convert. And I'm worried if I grab a junkyard unit I'm asking for trouble. So I'm wondering what I should do... grab an O'Reily auto parts remanufactured unit and then install an Igniter III module?

Put another way, what's my shortest and cheapest path to a factory-appearing small cap distributor with a modern module (like the Igniter III?)

Thanks!
Dave
I might have a points type distributor in my shop...IIRC it came off a 71 chevy truck I had. I'm not sure of the condition but if I can find it, its yours if you want it.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Go with Dave:
http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/
Installed one of his conversions just a couple weekends ago now. Stock look. HEI performance. No Points. I'm very happy.

Expect him to take about a month, but very worth it.
Attached Images

1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
jocko

thanks for that link oldgold - good gouge.