The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
cfan10

Cool Please, help advice is needed...

Ok, as stated before I had some f-d up welding done @larue. Outter frame by gearbox was welded, not good at all. The inner frame has cracks that were not welded, and it is cracked around the engine crossmember first bolt, near the gearbox.
I have all my receipts, even have a voicemail message from the owner for what they were supposed to do.
So I guess my question is how do I take it to the next level. Besides a complaint with the bbb, maybe attorney general, and civil court.
Also, does anyone know of any frame shops that actually know what they're doing, and do it? In or around Houston, Tx looking to get some estimates for court. As you all know this is a serious safety issue.
Been since 5/12/2009 just found out about the horrible work in april when cleaning up engine and frame to paint.

Labor describtion on invoice

Ck. Broken frame left front
Inspect broken steering gear frame mount. Frame mount for gear badly broken, steering linkage bent.
Straighten bowed tie rod. Remove steering gear and repair frame area. Grind and fit broken metal.Weld in extra support around mounting holes. Paint repaired area.
Check universal joints
Inspect and replace front and rear universal joints.
Lube both.
Check bent steering
Inspects damaged center link and straighten. Set toein

Outlined in pink, I see no such repairs. I just noticed that steve hunter did the work so, I'm wondering if the owner actually inspected himself.
I guess I'll have to have a shop check all their previous work. This really blows!

But as always thanks for (reading) and advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Please, help advice is needed...

Have you taken it back to the shop in question and inquired if they'll make it right?
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
cfan10

^ No, I had words with the owner over some previous work. (owner refused to give a receipt for an alinement, forgot to get it the day of the work) So, that option is out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
v30crewcab

been 3 years since the work? don't think theres much you can do but pay someone else to fix it. has the truck been driven since then or just sat?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
butch86

yeah i was wondering what the statute of limitations would be on something like this myself. with this much time passing by i would think its gonna be to where you have to pay another shop to redo this mans shoddy and dishonest work.

i would look into it but wouldnt expect much from it. hope it all works out for ya either way
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
butch86

i dont know about yall but i have never repaired or steightened steering componants. i wouldnt trust them. i replace things like center links and tie rods. again i just dont trust steering componants that have been bent. seems like they would be weaker after being bent and then streightened out. personally i think it would be a safty issue and any shop worth its salt would not do the repair without new replacement parts
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
HTX86chevy

I bent at least 3 control arms and also a few control arm links on an 08 jeep patriot. To buy everything brand new would have killed my bank account. I took it to a shop here in North Houston and they said they could fix it and have everything aligned for a reasonable price so I took the chance and let them do it. It has only been about 4 months but everything seems to be ok. If you want the name and address of the shop let me know. Don't know if the rules allow me to post it .
Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
cfan10

Cool Re: Please, help advice is needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX86chevy View Post
I bent at least 3 control arms and also a few control arm links on an 08 jeep patriot. To buy everything brand new would have killed my bank account. I took it to a shop here in North Houston and they said they could fix it and have everything aligned for a reasonable price so I took the chance and let them do it. It has only been about 4 months but everything seems to be ok. If you want the name and address of the shop let me know. Don't know if the rules allow me to post it .
Yeah, you could pm me the info, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
cfan10

Cool Re: Please, help advice is needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
been 3 years since the work? don't think theres much you can do but pay someone else to fix it. has the truck been driven since then or just sat?
just sat was never a dd, I haven't put 2k on it since I bought it in 08. Mechanic shop receipts have mileage. Think that would help since it hasnt changed much.
Posted via Mobile Device