The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
rbar

Re: 1988 truck with all 1966 sheet metal

I love the wing nuts on the front of the burb. Joe, I like what you have done with that truck.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #27
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
The burb you have was done by an idiot, can't fix that. Here in my state as long as you have a clean title you can basically do what you want, however it would not be able to be registered as an Antique as it would have to be 100% original. I do wonder how do people where you live get away with lowering or modifying their vehicles with bags,c notches and such????
they do the same as most. they hope that they never get in an accident, but I do remember when I use to use drop axles in my early fords and chevs and I got checked for it. if you got a flat tire no other part of the vehicle was to touch the road. I think I was with in about a 1/16 " but it still cleared. I bet that law is still valid. another time with a 38 ford sedan with a 3' dropped axle; I installed a Model A rear spring in the frt. to bring it up. they measured my headlights for height. they can check you for a lot of things regarding legal requirements.
regarding your state MVO requirements you may be surprised. here is one section and I think that installing a different body on a different frame may fall under this one
Back Print

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
Section: IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Effective: 04/11/1988
Number: 85.00 Revised: 08/15/2011

ASSEMBLED VEHICLES
POLICY:

To view Louisiana Statutes: http://www.legis.state.la.us/

AUTHORITY
R.S. 32:707.5

DEFINITION
An assembled motor vehicle is a vehicle which has been assembled by a person other than the manufacturer with major component parts from dismantled motor vehicles and may include new parts.

REQUIREMENTS

The LA State Police (LSP), Towing and Recovery Unit, will assign a Louisiana state number to all vehicles assembled in the state. The year of the vehicle is the year indicated on the final inspection.
The initial transaction on these vehicles must be routed to the Specialized Vehicle Unit, Headquarters.
The words, "Assembled Vehicle" will be printed on the title and will remain on all subsequent records.
Subsequent transactions may be processed in the field or HQ offices.

Major component parts are:

Engine with or without accessories
Transmission
Nose: that portion of the body from the front to the firewall when acquired or transferred as a complete unit.
Frame: that portion of a vehicle upon which other components are affixed, such as the engine, body, or transmission.
Body: that portion of a vehicle that determines its shape and appearance and is attached to the frame.
Door
Rear Clip: two or more of the following, all dismantled from the same vehicle:

1. Quarter panel or fender
2. Floor panel assembly
3. Trunk lid or gate

Cowl: that portion of the vehicle housing the firewall, windshield, and instrument panel.

The following items must be submitted prior to processing:

Receipts for all parts

1. Parts obtain from dismantled vehicles

a. If the part is purchased from a licensed dismantler only the receipt for that part is required provided the receipt states: "This vehicle from which the part was removed was reported to the Office of Motor Vehicles in accordance with R.S. 32:718."
b. If the part is purchased from an individual, a receipt as well as a copy of the front and back of the permit to dismantle is required. In the case of the frame, the original permit to dismantle is required.
2. New parts obtained will require the submission of a purchase receipt for that part as well as a certificate of origin, or similar document, complete with assignment to the assembler. If the part was not sold with a certificate of origin, a statement to that effect is required.
A sworn statement attesting that the assembled motor vehicle meets all National Highway Traffic Safety Administration standards for safety in effect on the date the assembly of the vehicle was complete.
A disclosure statement indicating that the assembler is aware that the vehicle will be branded as an assembled motor vehicle.
A photograph of the assembled vehicle.
Proof of current insurance if a plate is requested. The insurance card must clearly indicate that the vehicle is an assembled vehicle.

If all of the above requirements are met and the documents are acceptable, the Office of Motor Vehicles will issue a referral to contact LSP to make an appointment for inspection. Note: the assembler cannot make an appointment unless he has received a referral from OMV. LSP will issue a state assigned VIN and direct the customer to obtain a motor vehicle inspection sticker. The motor vehicle inspection sticker/rejection must include the state assigned VIN issued by LSP.

A motor vehicle inspection sticker or a statement from a licensed Louisiana motor vehicle inspection station indicating that the vehicle meets all safety requirements must be obtained at this time.
If the vehicle is domiciled in a non-attainment area and requires emissions testing an Assembled Emissions Inspection Form completed by the Motor Vehicle Emissions Inspection Challenge Station will also be required. The form must indicate that the vehicle meets all emissions requirements. The parishes currently designated as non-attainment areas are East Baton Rouge, West Baton Rouge, Ascension, Iberville, and Livingston.

Once all requirements listed above are met, the documentation must be re-submitted to the Office of Motor Vehicles for the issuance of a title.

Related Policies:
Section IV 112.00 Motor Vehicle Inspection

ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
mine is a 65/98, and its titled as a 65. I used the firewall and floorboards and kept all the systems, AC, power steering and brakes, EFI, gauges, even the heater controls.

Sweet looking truck, and all the comforts of a newer truck. The stance looks great!
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
The burb you have was done by an idiot, can't fix that. Here in my state as long as you have a clean title you can basically do what you want, however it would not be able to be registered as an Antique as it would have to be 100% original. I do wonder how do people where you live get away with lowering or modifying their vehicles with bags,c notches and such????
here is another. i take that another frame and driveline would be considered a glider kit in this sense.
ack Print

LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
Section: IV Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Effective: 04/11/1988
Number: 28.00 Revised: 02/05/2010

GLIDER KITS
POLICY:

To view Louisiana Statues: http://www. legis.state.la.us

AUTHORITY
Administrative

DEFINITION
A glider kit is manufactured with its own frame and uses only the power train (motor, transmission, drive shaft, and rear axles) from previously existing vehicles.

Due to the VIN edit check, the initial file must be submitted to the Specialized Vehicle Unit, Headquarters, and must contain the required items shown in each situation listed below.

REQUIREMENTS
Title and assignment of glider kit in the same owner's name

Application for title showing driver’s license number or EIN and odometer reading of the dismantled vehicle.
Manufacturer’s statement of origin for glider kit, properly assigned and notarized.
Notarized bill of sale for the glider kit.
Title to the dismantled vehicle.
Title, license, taxes computed on glider kit.
VEH-20 form executed by an officer with the LA State Police Vehicle Theft Unit verifying that the serial number on the new body or kit agrees with the statement of origin and also verifying the serial number and the make of the component parts of the power train (engine, transmission, drive shaft, and rear axles) installed in the glider kit.

Title not in same owner's name

All requirements listed above.
Properly assigned and notarized title.
Application for title (of vehicle to be installed under kit).
Notarized invoice or bill of sale.
Applicable taxes and fees.

ron
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
joedoh

A glider kit is for kit cars like the Mercedes/pintos or Ferrari Daytona/corvettes.

Existing trucks with existing titles just need the title for the donor to be taken "off the books". I ran into trouble when I used a 62 body first, because I bought it on a bill of sale. Since I had the title to the 98 they wanted to take the easy way and make it a 98. I wanted the vintage tag, so I found a titled 65 and had no more issues. A lesser man or a scofflaw would have just swapped vin plates for a good titled 60-63, I however did not.
Posted via Mobile Device

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
A glider kit is for kit cars like the Mercedes/pintos or Ferrari Daytona/corvettes.

Existing trucks with existing titles just need the title for the donor to be taken "off the books". I ran into trouble when I used a 62 body first, because I bought it on a bill of sale. Since I had the title to the 98 they wanted to take the easy way and make it a 98. I wanted the vintage tag, so I found a titled 65 and had no more issues. A lesser man or a scofflaw would have just swapped vin plates for a good titled 60-63, I however did not.
Posted via Mobile Device
actually gliders used to be used(perhaps still are) quite readily in heavy duty truck applications(factory gliders). just move the cab over. it is the same principle as putting a 60-66 cab on a newer frame and running gear.

it seems as though you have gone through the legal hassle of getting yours registered properly where most don't bother. my hat is off to you. my apologies again for not tweaking on the "98" instead of the 73-87 modification I was referring to.
I only bought that suburban for the body only. it is going on my 64 4 x 4 panel frame( whose body was to far gone. I only used the pics to illustrate what some guys do
ron
Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #32
RAYDAY

A COUPLE YEARS ago there was a 96ish tahoe at sema wirh a 60-66 front end on it think it was red? could of been some thing similar
http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/az480
half-assed build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5206828
RAYDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Jeff La

Once you are issued a clear title that is good for the life of the vehicle. An inspection is required yearly for emissions and safety but nothing to do with frame or reliablity. Should you wreck your car and choose to repair it, which would include the entire front clip you can do so with no additional checks. IF however the car is totaled and a salvage title is issued you are required to report all repairs with receits at that time if you have changed any of the major components a VIN check will occur. The frame and cab vins must match or a new vin will be issued. If you choose to go to every junk yard possible and assemble a vehicle it is allowed, again you will have to show receits along with an extensive repair summary. At that time you will have to pass the frame/cab inspection from where the major components came from then they will issue you a title for the year you are applying.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #34
broey
Square

joedoh your truck looks sweet!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #35
gearheads78

FYI a glider is a new manufactured 18 wheeler type body and frame with a front axle. They come with no motor or rear axles. I used to see them a lot when I was a kid. I don't even think they can build them any more with the upcoming smog laws on the diesels.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #36
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Back to the original question........

The '88 and up frames are greatly different than the '63-'66 frames, or even the '67-'72's or '73-'87's. While I have not done this swap, there will be a good amount of fabrication and modifying required to put a '60-'66 body onto a '88 and up frame. I have mounted a '62 body onto a '74 frame, 25+ years ago, and it was a good size job to do.

A few years ago a local restoration shop started mounting a '60-'66 body onto a '88+ frame and running gear. I saw a lot of modifying, cutting welding and hacking going on with that build. I have yet to see this one done, so I don't know what the issues may have been.

Since you do have help from someone that has done this type of work before, and you also have an example to refer to, it may work out. And also as mentioned above try and keep everything as legal as possible.

However, I will stick to what I always recommend. Just keep the original frame and upgrade the drivetrain and interior. I really don't see a huge gain in swapping the frames on the '60-'66 trucks. On a '60-'62 I might consider swapping to a '63-'72 frame, but only as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTEC900 View Post
My grandpa a few years back bought a 1966
Chevy truck
Thats all 1988 except for the sheet metal

The frame, motor, tranny, seats gauges, ect. are 1988

My question is how hard/ how much work would it be to do another truck like that
I have some mechanical know how but my grandpa and my moms boyfriend have alot

my grandpa has 2 complete 1965 Chevy trucks that have been pole barn kept for the last 20 - 25 years
And I have a 1992 gmc Sierra 1500
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote