The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
N2Clsx

72 Blazer break question

Looking for some help here with a problem that I can not figure out. The Blazer does have power brakes. A short time before we parked it for a couple of years a new master cylinder was replaced and from then the brakes were never perfect. We have bleeded (sp?) the brakes atleast 20 times now and not really much better. We replaced the front pads and the rear shoes(that were worn) and nothing. I can pump the brakes once or twice and the work like they should. I can get the rear break to lock up but not the front. What am I missing here?
My next question on a different thread was gonna be the vacuum secondaries will not open on the quadrajet. I have a gauge to check it just got to do it. I could have the line plugged in wrong. Around town it runs great. Could the two be tied together?

Sorry for jumping around on the subjects. These are the last two mechanical problems left on the Blazer. I told Jake that after we fix these I will take him to Azusa canyon or somewhere that he can actually lock in the front hubs and play. Thanks for the help everyone.
N2Clsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

Re: 72 Blazer break question

first question, did you bench bleed th master befor installing it? may have air trapped in there.
2nd, have you checked your vacuum pressure? you may be loosing vaccum off of idle. check for leaks etc.
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
rsavage

When you bleed the brakes, do you get a strong stream from each bleeder? The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem on a 68 Impala wagon and the problem was a rubber hose going to a caliper that had swelled almost shut from age.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Ole Beater

I ended up replacing my front calipers because of uneven braking. It pulled to one side harder. I agree with Rsavage too, the flexibly brake lines on these old trucks can get block. I replaced both with stainless braid from a local supplier.
But it sounds more like air or a blocked hard line to me because the problem is common to both front brakes. Is your warning light on?
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
FoxHound

like harley said if you didn't bench bleed the master cylinder there will be lots of air trapped in it. bench bleeding takes a long time (did for me anyway, about 20 minutes of pumping) but you have to do it until there's no more bubbles in the fluid after each pump.