The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
monte0185

Door Window Issues

Hey Folks. Need some help. I had my truck painted including the interior and now im putting the doors back together. My issue is the main window. I put new weather stripping in but the glass slides back and forth between the two channels. should there be something that holds the window between the two or should it set in one of them? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry J.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

Re: Door Window Issues

It sounds to me like the small bolt that goes through the inside door skin into the rear channel may be missing. I removed it on my truck when I rebuilt my vent windows because it made the glass easier to handle. It is a little bit tough to get the hole lined up when re-installing it. Also, make sure the bolt that holds the bottom of the vent window is in place as well...But, if the vent window is in place and secure, it really wouldn't allow the main glass to move much, if any.

1984 GMC Sierra Classic-1/2 ton-SWB (R.I.P.)
1986 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
2014 GMC Sierra LTZ Z-71 Crew SWB
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Can you snap a picture of the door with the door panel off? That would help in identifying what may be missing....

1984 GMC Sierra Classic-1/2 ton-SWB (R.I.P.)
1986 GMC Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4
2014 GMC Sierra LTZ Z-71 Crew SWB
1425956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
monte0185

The bolts are in the bottom of the vent window and both bolts are in the rear rail. now if their in the right place is a different story. guess thats what i get for not taking it apart myself. trucks a bit dirty from sitting in the garage.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
crazeetxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1425956 View Post
It sounds to me like the small bolt that goes through the inside door skin into the rear channel may be missing.
Yep, you're missing a bolt. I'm pretty sure that's the right hole. You should be able to grab the window channel and pull it over and it'll show you where it goes. Same size as the other one if you need to run to the parts store.

Name:  door.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  43.1 KB
crazeetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeetxn View Post
Yep, you're missing a bolt. I'm pretty sure that's the right hole. You should be able to grab the window channel and pull it over and it'll show you where it goes. Same size as the other one if you need to run to the parts store.

Attachment 920299
Actually the bolt is there just in the wrong hole!!! look under the middle of the arrow on the left. thats where i bolted the channel to. my bad i guess!! i looked at the one one you have the arrow pointing to this evening and wondered if perhaps that wasnt the hole it was supposed to be in since it was kind of elongated. Ill try it tomorrow evening when i get home. I appreciate the help!!!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Your41Plague12

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Actually the bolt is there just in the wrong hole!!! look under the middle of the arrow on the left. thats where i bolted the channel to. my bad i guess!! i looked at the one one you have the arrow pointing to this evening and wondered if perhaps that wasnt the hole it was supposed to be in since it was kind of elongated. Ill try it tomorrow evening when i get home. I appreciate the help!!!
It's elongated to allow for adjustment. You'll be much closer with it when you switch. It may need tweaked though, but that's easy.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
monte0185

Guess I should have taken it apart myself instead of letting the body guy do it so i know where everything went. But i guess thats just a life lesson.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
crazeetxn

Don't know if your truck had one, but there should be a brace going across the big square. Should go from the left side of the square to the top.

Also, there are plastic clips that slide into those keyhole lookin slots towards the bottom that your cover screws into.
crazeetxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeetxn View Post
Don't know if your truck had one, but there should be a brace going across the big square. Should go from the left side of the square to the top.

Also, there are plastic clips that slide into those keyhole lookin slots towards the bottom that your cover screws into.
Yeah im missing one of those plastic clips so i gotta make something up for one or swing by a junk yard next weekend and see if i can find one. I bought new door panels and they fit really snug but i think i like the oem ones better. After the doors fixed I have to pull tha dash apart again and fix my printed circuit board there the plug connects. Got a coupl guages acting hinky. and replace the trim on the dash pad.

Got another question though. When yall are installing new carpet are you using something to make it stick to the floor?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
bilfman

Nope auto carpet is not stuck down. There are products for sound dampening and insulating, some of these get stuck down. But the carpet just lays on top and will be held in place by the various items, seat, shifter etc etc.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
monte0185

yeah i guess that makes sense now that i think about it.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
monte0185

Well what do ya know. I moved bottom of the rear channel to the correct location and voila it works like window should again!!! Thanks guys!!! Now for the pesky 4000 other little things that need to be done!!