The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
mikewarme

Bench seat rattling

The bench seat is driving me INSANE!!! It rocks back and forth just enough to go cluk cluk! And the springs squeak. Seat has been rebuilt and is firm. What have you guys done with the tracks?? Does anybody make these? Can I use newer body style tracks with modifications?
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Bench seat rattling

ttt...

Yes, there's some guys that have installed other seats and brackets and made them work. What I don't know is which make would be the best fit.

I would first check yours out to see where it's loose. Have someone sit on the seat and push back and forth while you look under it (if it's possible). It may be something as simple as a spring missing to hold the locking part in place or maybe a bolt that is loose and can be tightened back up. If it's broken it can be rewelded.

The squeaking spring is another story. You probably will have to dismantle and spray with WD40. Back in my day, squeeking truck seats was the norm. Just about all of them had a squeak somewhere.

As far as I know there's no one making the brackets aftermarket. You might try the parts for sale or post a want to buy to see if someone has a set they will sell.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
mikewarme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
ttt...

Yes, there's some guys that have installed other seats and brackets and made them work. What I don't know is which make would be the best fit.

I would first check yours out to see where it's loose. Have someone sit on the seat and push back and forth while you look under it (if it's possible). It may be something as simple as a spring missing to hold the locking part in place or maybe a bolt that is loose and can be tightened back up. If it's broken it can be rewelded.

The squeaking spring is another story. You probably will have to dismantle and spray with WD40. Back in my day, squeeking truck seats was the norm. Just about all of them had a squeak somewhere.

As far as I know there's no one making the brackets aftermarket. You might try the parts for sale or post a want to buy to see if someone has a set they will sell.

I had figured this out before. It has alot of play at the actual locks that release and lock the seat from sliding. So it's not loose rather a sloppy fit. Im sure it was like that from day ONE
mikewarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
jjtackleberry

I used large zip ties and "locked" it down

cant see them stopped all noises

It's all a matter of perception
jjtackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtackleberry View Post
I used large zip ties and "locked" it down cant see them stopped all noises
Which brings to mind someone using adjustable steel band clamps on another vehicle. We usually don't move them back and forth so why not tie it or clamp it?
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote