The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
1967stella

Brake light/turn signal issues

Ok so i bought my 67 about 4 years ago. On the way home the wiring in the engine bay caught fire so i had it towed to a shop and had the whole thing rewired. About 3 years ago my wife told me (driving behind me) that when i put my turn signal on my brake light went off so it looks like im not braking at all. Has anybody had this issue at all.. I have looked over the wiring diagram and cant spot a place for an issue.. Only thing i can think of is a relay issue.
Any ideas guys???

O and the wiring kit that was installed was the painless one
Posted via Mobile Device
1967stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Brake light/turn signal issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967stella View Post
Ok so i bought my 67 about 4 years ago. On the way home the wiring in the engine bay caught fire so i had it towed to a shop and had the whole thing rewired. About 3 years ago my wife told me (driving behind me) that when i put my turn signal on my brake light went off so it looks like im not braking at all. Has anybody had this issue at all.. I have looked over the wiring diagram and cant spot a place for an issue.. Only thing i can think of is a relay issue.
Any ideas guys???

O and the wiring kit that was installed was the painless one
Posted via Mobile Device
Bump for you...

Possible a grounding issue. Do a search on ground or ground straps. Also, some have mentioned a possible problem in the steering wheel turn signal circuitry causing brake/tail light issues but I don't remember what causes it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Fldawg

X2 check your grounds
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Boomer#1471

I am having the exact same issue. My brake lights only go out when the right turn signal is on though, the left gives no issue. I am trying to find a wiring diagram to fix it and I will let you know if I find my problem. Please share if you find your solution. Good luck !
Posted via Mobile Device
Boomer#1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Look through here for possible fix. Also, be sure and add some ground straps from the bed to the frame, frame to cab, cab to engine. Possibly one from radiator support to frame somewhere.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425454

Grime and corrosion have basically eliminated or diminished the metal to metal contact of bed bolts, cab and radiator support bolts to complete he circuit back to battery negative.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
ChumBucket

Stella - finishing the wiring on my truck right now ('69) with the Painless kit and ran into the same issue...

My problem, after about an hour of head-scratching, turned out to be a bad turn signal switch. When I "made a right turn" the right turn signal would come on fine and when I pressed the brakes on the left brake light would come on (good).

But when I did the left turn signal and brakes the right brake wouldn't come on. Fiddled with the turn signal lever and it felt like I had 3 normal notches (left turn, right turn and no turn) but there was also a little notch that I had to move it to IOT get the brake light to come on.

Blah, blah, blah...sorry for the long answer, fiddle around with your turn signal a little after you make sure your grounds are good and see what that does for you.

GOOD LUCK, messing around with electrical stuff is like voodoo.
ChumBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Mayo
Cool Truck

My truck has had this problem for the 5 years I have had it. My turn signal switch had always been semi broken, the cancel for turning right never worked. Whenever I had mt right signal on, my left brake light would not work unless the turn signal lever was in the right spot. Now, my switch is completely broken and it causes issues with both brake lights.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote