The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
dstarrett

electric fuel pump

would an electric fuel pump improve the startability of a 283? Its been overhauled with a new edelbrock carb and mech. fuel pump, but is hard starting after setting for several days. would it affect the lack of power in 4th around 2500 rpm? The power comes back after dropping to 3rd and rpms come back up to 3500.
dstarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: electric fuel pump

This has been debated at length on earlier threads, being a very common problem on carbureted engines with modern blend gasoline. It seems that after sitting a few days the gas in the float bowl evaporates, leaving an empty carb on start up. Rather than waiting for a mechanical pump to refill the bowl, an electric pump would fill the carb before cranking the engine. The downside being electric pumps are notorious for failing at the worst possible time leaving you stranded. Mechanical pumps by comparison normally last for decades without any attention. Electric pumps also require a crash or roll over switch to shut off the pump in the event of a wreck. I suffer the same miserable start up problems after the truck sits for a few days, but I’ve had so much experience with failed electric pumps I’m not willing to go through it again.

The problem you’re experiencing in 4th gear is something else. It sounds most likely like a timing issue. Either the initial advance is incorrect, or distributor is not providing either centrifugal or vacuum advance correctly. You could also have vacuum issues, or the setup on the jets/rods for your specific engine is incorrect. It may be running too rich or too lean in that power range. I just don’t think an electric fuel pump will help with that particular problem.