The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
crushermechanic

Anyone use 7100 ultra wire

does anybody use Esab 7100 ultra wire? If so can you tell me what voltage,amprage,& and wire speed you run. We are having an arguement at work over the settings. I am running 1/16" wire 28 volts, 315 ipm, and 330 amps. I am welding 4 1/2" plate 1 1/2 v fillet. I think the settings are perfect but some coworkers think its too hot. Here are some pics.
Attached Images

crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Anyone use 7100 ultra wire

Thats a whole lot bigger than what Im used to welding. Welds look good to me though. Your heat looks very even all the way down the weld and to me it doesnt look like the heat is traveling overly far into the material. Again I havent ever welded anything thicker than 1/4 inch steel.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
crushermechanic

That was the thickest i have ever welded. Those plates were still hot 9 hours later. It has taken a week of 12 hour days to cut and fab all that.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
cableguy0

Thats wild. Its fun to play with big stuff.I cant imagine the heat during welding especially while trying to remain steady and keep going. Just out of curiosity what the hell is that steel for?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
crushermechanic

Intense to say the least. Long sleeve shirt and full leathers still gets hot enough to hurt.