The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
thebeast61

Why does my door pop when opened

My driver door makes a loud popping noies when opened. I have sprayed lubricant on everything that I can see. It appears to be coming from the thingamabob (yes thats a technical term) that goes from the body to the inside of the door. Its about halfway down the door. I guess its to keep the door from going open to far and hitting the fender. Could this be broken inside or is there some kind of adjustment I can make?
Its a 61 GMC
thebeast61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
rbar

Re: Why does my door pop when opened

I put new "thingymadoohickers"on my truck and they pop. Lubed them and they still pop. It's the two curved pieces grabbing or releasing the middle strap when moving past the point that it holds the door open. Haven't worked at fixing it yet though.
Posted via Mobile Device
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
losthope

I assume you are talking abut the "door checks" that keep the door opening to far and being dented by the front fender....my old ones popped and the replacement ones i used out of a Jeep Cherokee also make a little popping sound...how loud of a pop you talking?Like said above your o.g. door checks might be over extending and need to be replaced..

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 05-16-2012 at 08:04 AM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
thebeast61

Yea it sounds like it is the door checks, just didnt know the name for them. The pop is really loud. my neighbor says he can hear it from inside his house. My passenger door dosent pop at all. It does look like it opens farther than it should, dosent hit the fender but I think it is opening to far. The pop happens when the door is about 1/4 the way open and it only does it when opening not when closing.
Are the checks hard to change out?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

These door checks are rather primitive compared to modern versions, using tension springs to latch over bumps on the arm at full extension. Pardon the lousy picture but this is what you’re dealing with.

Once the springs pass the bump they make a snapping sound. When they are dry or corroded the sound gets louder. They can still partially work if only one side of the spring is broken, just not very well. Perhaps one of the pieces on your check is broken and either dragging along the bar, or hitting a rough spot and snagging, causing the popping sound.

They are easily replaced, however I recommend either finding NOS checks on Ebay, or replace them with Jeeps door checks. Aftermarket replacement door checks are notorious for breaking after limited use. I had replacement checks for a while before I found NOS items, and after just a few months of use the stop washer next to the rubber cushion fractured in two pieces. Buyer beware.

Personally I’d rather have the Jeep checks because they have a hold open position in the center.

Here's the original thread explaining the Jeep door check installation:

http://www.persh.org/pickup/DoorChecks.htm
Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

My passenger door popped when opened, I found out the sheetmetal on the front of the door was catching on a small dent in the sheetmetal of the back of the fender. I couldn't see it from the outside, but when adjusting the door back a little, I noticed it, and was able to pop it out, and it went away.

Just another idea to look at in case the door check isn't the problem.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
thebeast61

Thanks for the great info guys. I can always count on this forum to help me out. I think I will go with the jeep door catch.