The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
1bad87

wont crank?

well it has happen to me twice in a week so am driving and turn it off at a gas station and wen i go in to turn it on i hear it like it "wanted" to crank just for mayb 1 sec l hear it like the starter lock? so i sit there for a couple of min and wont crank i check the battery and was fine good horn and lights everything was ok just wont crank i call my bro and we tow it home and guees what wen i got home it start working again am thinkin the starter is goin bad? a mecanic said it could b the switch. but i relly dont think it is the switch any of u guys had this problem
1bad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: wont crank?

Well, possible on both accounts really. If you have some lose, corroded or about to fall apart wiring it could do that. Or if you starter is on its way out it could do the same thing.
Ever done the old hammer trick on the starter? Have someone in the truck bumping the key over and over while another taps on the starter with a hammer.
Very scientific I know, but its got me home more than once.

As far as wiring issue, that could be anywhere between the key cylinder to the starter itself. Could also be the ignition itself. Heck it could be a handful of other things as well, but I'd start with simpler stuff first.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
86 K-10

Bad ground.

I had the same problem. It would crank fine most of the time, then randomly not want to turn over at all...along with some other strange electrical issues. I added a ground strap from the factory battery ground point to the frame....no more problems
Posted via Mobile Device
86 K-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
1bad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Well, possible on both accounts really. If you have some lose, corroded or about to fall apart wiring it could do that. Or if you starter is on its way out it could do the same thing.
Ever done the old hammer trick on the starter? Have someone in the truck bumping the key over and over while another taps on the starter with a hammer.
Very scientific I know, but its got me home more than once.

As far as wiring issue, that could be anywhere between the key cylinder to the starter itself. Could also be the ignition itself. Heck it could be a handful of other things as well, but I'd start with simpler stuff first.
i wanted to try the hammer trick but i was alone and no hammer hehe
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
1bad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 K-10 View Post
Bad ground.

I had the same problem. It would crank fine most of the time, then randomly not want to turn over at all...along with some other strange electrical issues. I added a ground strap from the factory battery ground point to the frame....no more problems
Posted via Mobile Device
ill check the grounds and mayb put one from the battery to the frame aswell thx
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

it doesnt have to be a hammer.. a old fashioned j handle from the factory works as well

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
1bad87

well i check the grounds and its alredy bloted to the frame and the truck hasnt stop workin guess ill keep the hammer in the truck just incase it acts out on me again then ill just hammer the hole truck lol nahh just hope it dies fast to fix these
Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
chebyshortbox65

Check the Neutral saftey switch on the colum mine does that sometimes won't crank and I have to put it in gear and back in park a few times
Posted via Mobile Device
chebyshortbox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
silvereagle07

Is your truck carb or fuel injection? I had an issue just like that with the carb vapor locking. It would start only after it cooled down a bit. I've also had bad starters do the same thing. Like stated before... it could be a number of things.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
HTX86chevy

My truck has been doing this for weeks. I just turned the switch off and on til it would finally start. Dropped the starter and took it in today for testing and it was the solenoid.
$20 @ advance auto parts with limited life time warranty
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
csb#356

The pinion might of stuck in the ring gear and then after you jolted it around a little it popped out. That happened to me once and has never happened again since.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
elvis94

Mine was dping this similar thing it turns out the wires from the starter were exposed and were scraching on the manifold just went ahead and replaced the wires and made sure they were nowear near any metal that would make it short out again
Posted via Mobile Device
elvis94 is offline   Reply With Quote