The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
jocko

woodgrain vs. black dash question

I'm curious - what was the texture under the woodgrain applique on the instrument cluster? Was it the same bumpy texture as the black or was it smooth for the woodgrain to adhere better?

Can a black dash be turned into a woodgrain dash or is it the wrong texture to which one can apply the woodgrain stuff.

I'm woodgrain stupid - have only had a black cheyenne dash. Am looking at a super, but the woodgrain is trashed. Probably best to repair THAT dash, but wondering if i might be able to midify another one.

Have seen MANY (unfortunately) horribly botched woodgrain add-ons to lots of these dashes, and wondering if perhaps that is why (i.e. underlying texture not appropriate).

Thanks for schoolin me.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
sameyrasmea72

Re: woodgrain vs. black dash question

I think the texture is the same. From the factory the GM wood grain insert was a thick insert and it did not matter what the surface or the cluster was like. Most aftermarket wood grain inserts are basically a sticker and therefor don’t lay down good on the bumpy cluster surface.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
sameyrasmea72

When I did my cluster I found a NOS wood grain bezel that was painted silver(not chromed) like all the replacement bezels were. Then I removed the woodgrain, had the bezel re-chromed, then reattached the woodgrain. I thinked it turned out pretty nice.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
leddzepp

the aftermarket woodgrain uses a vinyl decal as opposed to an "applique" like the original. it typically does not adhere as well, as stated above. i have had pretty good luck using contact cement for additional strength...but then you run into the problem of finding one that fits properly around all the cut-outs for the gauges. the texture on all bezels is the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
When I did my cluster I found a NOS wood grain bezel that was painted silver(not chromed) like all the replacement bezels were. Then I removed the woodgrain, had the bezel re-chromed, then reattached the woodgrain. I thinked it turned out pretty nice.
I'll say it did, wow, that is gorgeous. The problem is that the one I'm (yes, STILL!) looking at looks like, well, the picture.... Needs new woodgrain. Glovebox is pretty nice, worn thru in a few minor spots, but if the instrument cluster looked as good as the glovebox, I wouldn't even touch it. So, it's gonna have to be done somehow. I like the contact cement idea ledzepp, thank you. I have seen a few homemade actual wood ones, but not a big fan. The frustrating part is that if you do one part - you might as well do them all because matching the existing is probably near impossible.

For those that buy the vinyl to install themselves, where do you get that from?

Thanks again sameyrasmea and ledzepp - answered all my questions, including the texture one. Much appreciated.

EDIT - one more thing - how did you remove the woodgrain sameyrasmea?
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'll say it did, wow, that is gorgeous..... - one more thing - how did you remove the woodgrain sameyrasmea?
Weeeell. I was speaking in general terms. In my paragraph above, every time you see the word “I” replace it with “The Cheyenne Super Man”. He did the work for me.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
ole dollor

most younger people that i have spoke to do not like wood grain inside a vehicle, i like it alot, and always have. it was put in all high end vehicles.back in the day, and i have seen places that you can order it for the newer vehicles, but not sure if they make it for our old trucks, i am sure it would be made from vinyl now.
but i still like it....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
jocko

welcome to the old fart club dollor. me and you both. There are some threads on here that I may have saved about just this topic - but I don't believe they mentioned where to ge tthe vinyl stuff. It looked like a pretty good match, but was prone to peeling (unless maybe those that used ledzepp's contact cement approach. very glad he mentioned that. I'm gonna look for it.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
jocko

FOUND IT!! I had the place saved, not the thread... duh. Got it from a thread a while back and saved it just in case. http://www.customautotrim.com/vinyl/...rain_vinyl.htm
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
sameyrasmea72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
most younger people that i have spoke to do not like wood grain inside a vehicle, i like it alot, and always have. it was put in all high end vehicles.back in the day, and i have seen places that you can order it for the newer vehicles, but not sure if they make it for our old trucks, i am sure it would be made from vinyl now.
but i still like it....
A ton of new highend vehicles still use it. My 2008 LTZ used it. I think they use real wood in alot or cars.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyrasmea72 View Post
Weeeell. I was speaking in general terms. In my paragraph above, every time you see the word “I” replace it with “The Cheyenne Super Man”. He did the work for me.
Ha! Got it, thank you! The wheels are turnin..... May have to sell my 66 to finance a new project.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Cheyenne Super Man was the first die cut woodgrain I bought over 20 years ago. I'm sure it's avai;able from many sources now. I bought some real well done (already installed) correct pattern woodgrain dash pieces from The Truck Shop...the original one in Crossville.TN,not the ones who use the same name (Jerry must be too nice to make a stink). He also sells just the applique. But my bezel is and original Cheyenne Super bezel with the smooth backing.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
jocko

thanks Special K - good point. I have met the original truck shop guys, they used to come up to carlisle shows when I was on the east coast. I might check with them before I break out my heat gun and start shrink wrapping the interior of a truck I haven't even purchased yet! Thanks for the steer.