The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
moregrip

soon to be in the market for a 67-72 chevy/gmc pickup......need advice

Hello, just a quick intro. I'm 40yrs old, active duty USN (16yrs) and have been lusting after the 67-72 model year pickup trucks since I was 14yrs old. Been modding late model silverados for the past 5 or so years. My very first truck was a 71 chevy pickup which I regret selling along with the 59 and the 67 I sold lol (hind sight)

I'm at a point where it sure would be nice to get back into a classic and not have to worry about the smog police at every corner. Besides it's time to pull the trigger on one of these larger type projects cause I ain't getting any younger!

Here's a quick vid of what I'm working with now (05 2500HD supercharged)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...=VIDEO0001.mp4

I've been poking around the forum for a while and I'm expecting to purchase a project type truck in the next 1-3months, situation/deal dependent of course. BTW, the motor trans from the truck in that video will be going the 67-72 project truck!

From what I've read so far I know there are some common trouble areas to look for and just plain ole good advice when shopping for a 67-72 project truck so I guess that's the whole point of this post (besides a mini introduction).

Any advice or links is/are greatly appreciated

Last edited by moregrip; 04-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: soon to be in the market for a 67-72 chevy/gmc pickup......need advice

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service!
Since you are not going for originality (with the engine transplant) I'd say your biggest concern would be rust, being on the left coast you should be able to find solid metal. The cab is most important...specially the roof at the upper windshield corners and the cab supports below. I suggest you look at a lot of these before buying one, take your time, there are lots of them.

Also narrow down your search parameters...
Chevy or GMC
1/2 ton or 3/4
67-68
69-70
71-72
All these have their own style
Long or short bed
Fleetside or stepper
Lowered or stock height

Start with a plan and you'll save time and money

First I would become a subscribing member for $25 so you can buy and sell parts on here....best $$ you will spend on your truck.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
1/2 ton or 3/4
Long or short bed
Lowered or stock height
So you are just assuming he doesn't want a 4X4 or a one ton or bigger or a longhorn?

If I were you I'd get a ford.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.

Last edited by 1972RedNeck; 04-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
jocko

Apparently the ford lovers have no website of their own (edit: or it's down for maintenance, but they should be well versed in that - sorry, couldn't resist...) Or is it just because we're all so cool over here?

That's odd advice on a site for chevys. Just sayin.

Anyhoo... Welcome moregrip, you'll find lots of info on the site here. I couldn't view your link, it said private album or something like that. No worries. There are so many different directions you could go with a 67-72. I gather you're gonna drop a non-original engine on it so originality isn't that important - so you'd probably want to focus the search on something that isn't gonna cost you an arm and a leg BECAUSE it's original - like a Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super, CST, etc. But if that's what you want, might look for a project one that needs engine work already - the goal being not to pay for a good engine when you're gonna yank it out anyway.

Next up is body style - long/short/fleet/step/etc. Then size, etc. If you're gonna haul, might consider a 3/4 tonner or higher. Also, as was keenly pointed out... you may fall into the 4x4 crowd. I love the 4x4s, however, since I want to drive mine a bit (i'm looking also at this time, sold my cheyenne a long time ago ) so I like the ease of swapping in an o/d trans (EDIT: and that's a bit more of a challenge, although it can be done, in a 4x4). - so, since I like 2x and 4x, I will probably focus on a 2wd truck. I like them externally stock, mild motored, and highway haulin capable without taching out at 3500 at 70. Question is this - what do you like? I've been looking for awhile, have exhausted ebay efforts, but continue to watch it just to keep up with the pricing, which tends to be inflated on ebay - a bit (my opinion). NOTHING beats a local truck buy in my book. Get to see the truck, know its history, know its owner, and even maybe have the chance to think on it for a day or two after you look at it.

Money-wise, my personal opinion is that the best investment up front is a solid body. All the rest is gravy and more fun to work on (and most stuff you can find or is repopped).

Again, welcome, you'll like it here. I do agree with the comment early on about joining, I waited a while, then just gave in - and the benefits are worth it - ability to buy/sell, etc. Worthwhile once you are knee deep in a project.
Take care,
jocko

Last edited by jocko; 04-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I'd like to see a 4x4 68 Panel build....talk about cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I agree with jocko.Paint and bodywork will be the biggest expense and every dollar more you spend on a better "foundation" will save you $3-5 in the end.Any BOZO can fix the mechanicals on one of these(I can keep one on the road and even improve it,so I know that to be true).There's no lack of info on this BB to help.Start looking now,just to become more familiar with them.Read the builds forum to see where others have had problems(and thier solutions) and come up with a budget.Now double the budget,build an engine instead of planning a swap(you do have duty,remember,and you have to have a way to get there) and keep it fun.You should be able to find a great canidate in the republic of Ca.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
moregrip

thanks for the warm welcome and sound advice, I do appreciate that.

maybe this link will work better:

motor/trans will be an LS based 6L supercharged with a 4L80e

I'm interested in a short bed 2wd setup.......I can start with a long bed but it will ultimately end up a short bed.

Here's the deal, I have a more than a few dollars invested in 8lug parts. Intro billet wheels, drag wheels, 14bolt rear diff., bolt pattern hasn't changed (to my knowledge)......and it would be a whole lot cooler (read: cheaper) if I could incorporate/re-use these investment pieces into the build.

Are there any lowered short bed 2wd 8lug trucks out there?

1st choice 67 chevy small window, next 67-68 gmc, next 71 chevy, last 72 chevy

Ideally I'd like to build something that I can drive through the twisties on the weekend and still perform respectfully at the dragstrip.

thoughts?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
If I were you I'd get a ford.

J/K

I just wanted to see what I'd get for a response. It was much milder than expected.

Sorry for hijacking.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

moregrip,check out "No Limit Engeneering" for canyon carving truck chassis mods.They do a lot of F100's but have stepped up in the GM world also.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
moregrip,check out "No Limit Engeneering" for canyon carving truck chassis mods.They do a lot of F100's but have stepped up in the GM world also.
Will do brother.....been researching alot the past few days......so much stuff out there to choose from (read manufacturers of parts).......while that's ......there's certainly alot to sift through and learn about!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
C/10 King

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
thanks for the warm welcome and sound advice, I do appreciate that

I'm interested in a short bed 2wd setup.......I can start with a long bed but it will ultimately end up a short bed.

Here's the deal, I have a more than a few dollars invested in 8lug parts. Intro billet wheels, drag wheels, 14bolt rear diff., bolt pattern hasn't changed (to my knowledge)......and it would be a whole lot cooler (read: cheaper) if I could incorporate/re-use these investment pieces into the build.

Ideally I'd like to build something that I can drive through the twisties on the weekend and still perform respectfully at the dragstrip.

thoughts?
Speaking of 68' 3/4 8 lug short beds, my cousin Richie the G. is building one as we speak.
Attached Images

1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Speaking of 68' 3/4 8 lug short beds, my cousin Richie the G. is building one as we speak.
Now that is badass!! Thanks for sharing. intentions of lowering it? if so what is the plan ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
thanks for the warm welcome and sound advice, I do appreciate that.

thoughts?
Sounds like a cool plan...you could always convert to 8lug...but getting a longbed 8 lugger with a really solid body would be a good starting point for your build and you can probably score one for 1/2 or 1/3 of what a similar condition swb would bring...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
C/10 King

Quote:
Now that is badass!! Thanks for sharing. intentions of lowering it? if so what is the plan ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes it will be slammed, Richie is build this one for a nephew on a budget, here's a before and after photo's of Richie last build, A 68'plain-Jane long bed to a beautiful short bed swan.
Attached Images

1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Benny00z71

I know it's a 66, but here's a 6.0/80E swap that I found to be pretty sweet.
Benny00z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
Yes it will be slammed, Richie is build this one for a nephew on a budget, here's a before and after photo's of Richie last build, A 68'plain-Jane long bed to a beautiful short bed swan.
Wow; awesome truck!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Sounds like a cool plan...you could always convert to 8lug...but getting a longbed 8 lugger with a really solid body would be a good starting point for your build and you can probably score one for 1/2 or 1/3 of what a similar condition swb would bring...
I think that's the direction I'm headed.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
longhorn70gmc

Hello MoreGrip,
Man, I wish I would have known you back in March while I was on DET to Point MUGU., we could have gotton together and discussed all kinds of options for you and places to find rust free trucks. Anyway, I am 3 hours away from you in the high desert of China Lake Ca. Feel free to PM me anytime. I have two trucks myself. Take care and good luck!
R/
Billy

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #19
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn70gmc View Post
Hello MoreGrip,
Man, I wish I would have known you back in March while I was on DET to Point MUGU., we could have gotton together and discussed all kinds of options for you and places to find rust free trucks. Anyway, I am 3 hours away from you in the high desert of China Lake Ca. Feel free to PM me anytime. I have two trucks myself. Take care and good luck!
R/
Billy
Billy,

Thanks brother. I'd love to find out what to look for and where to find some rust free trucks! PM in the air
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
treveiger

If I were you I'd look for a restored roller sense you going to be swapping it out anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #21
moregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
If I were you I'd look for a restored roller sense you going to be swapping it out anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
makes sense

I'd even take a rust free roller........or maybe something with a blown engine
Old 05-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
longhorn70gmc

Hello,
have you found anything yet or a potential candidate? There have been a few old trucks in the local swap sheet the last couple weeks.
R/

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote