The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
1moretoy

will this be ok

do you guys think the trans yulk is at too much of an angle. a friend of mine said it should be ok just looking for more opinions. i hope it will work becuse it will be alot of work to fix it now
Attached Images

1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
sanford66

Re: will this be ok

I don't think that will work out. It looks like there will be some rear seal and bushing problems, not to mention some vibration. Just my thoughts. Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Can't you raise it at the mount? What exactly is going on here? Did you have a 1pc driveshaft made? The angle should be ok. That's what the u-joint is for,as the rear is constantly moving up and down...more down that up. 4wds run on much more of an angle. But what concerns me is the yoke seems to be hanging out of the trans a good bit. Don't they usually slide in a lot more?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
jocko

While I'm not certain the angle is not acceptable (I believe it might be ok), the real issue is that the driveshaft is too short - insufficient amount of yoke engagement.

Is this picture taken with weight on wheels or jacks under frame?

What was the swap that was performed? Looks like you have a custom rear trans crossmember? Anything else? What trans type?

While I can't tell for certain - if I focus on the far right edge of the pic, appears there isn't much room to work vertically (i.e. shaft appears almost topped out in the crossmember pass-thru) but it's hard to tell in this pic - are you certain you have sufficient clearance between the driveshaft and the crossmember it passes through to ensure it won't rub with full suspension travel/compression? It would suck if it rubs once you're headed down the road.

At a minimum, it would appear to me you need a longer driveshaft - but my real concern is that MAY not have sufficient clearance for it with susp travel. Again, hard to tell in your pic - and I realize you weren't focusing the pic on this aspect, only the angle.

Regarding the angle, below is a very helpful link that covers some of the do's/don't/basics of driveline phasing and angles, etc. But here are the keys:
- engine and rear end must be in phase (i.e. parrallel either horizontally or vertically, but NOT pointing straight at each other)
- an angle SHOULD be present at both ends, this is why we have U-joints and if the trans output shaft points directly at the pinion shaft and they are in line - no workie - there have to be angles. Consider the extreme angles on some lifted trucks - your angles don't approach those, but the real question is overall driveline alignment - is it phased properly and do you have sufficient (and pretty equal) u-joint angles at both ends?

Take a peek at this, this little web posting explains it better than me.

Bottom line - if everything else is good to go with the driveline setup, the only problem I see is that the drivesahft is too short. It would be worth a trip to a local drivelins shop and ask their opinion - they can give you specifics/options better in person.

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/driveline...nephasing.html

EDIT: Ha! Simo-post Special K, I think I just said about the same thing you did - sorry bout that!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
cdowns

looks like it is a prime candidate for a new longer driveshaft// or if you want to play craps at least do it with a driveshaft safty hoop to prevent that shaft from turning into a polevault when it fails
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
VH Coachworks

Agree with the above, driveshaft looks a little short, as far as the angle goes
have the truck setting on the ground no jacks,and check the degree of the angle, should be about 3 to 5 degrees is pretty close. You do not want the driveshaft coming thru the floor, not a pretty site and very dangerous.
VH Coachworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
NoNeck

The driveshaft is too short in your truck if it is sitting at ride height. That slip yoke should be much further inside the tranny, with only about an 1" ± of the yoke showing. If you don't fix it, the driveshaft could also damage the splines on the transmission as it exits the truck at highway speeds.

It really won't take that much work to fix... just a little $$$. You need to find a reputable driveline shop in your area (Google). They will have forms that you can fill out with all your measurements to get the driveshaft right. Plus, you would get the added bonus of a vibration-free ride.

Good luck!

NoNeck

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
ole dollor

i agree with the others, just looking at the pic. the trans needs to go up, and the yoke needs to go in farther....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
1moretoy

I decided to take out the drive shaft and measure the yolk. The yolk slips in the tail shaft a little over 2-1/2 inches. Is that not enough? Btw that measurement is with the rear end sitting on the c-notch. I don't think it will change that much at ride height
Posted via Mobile Device
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote