The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
brap999

Replacing upper and lower ball joints on the '63, not much 'fun'

Two ball joints are going bad on my '63, so I decided now would be a good time replace all 4 and not have to worry about them again for a long time.

Little did I know that the upper ball joints, and quite possibly the lower ball joints have never actually been replaced. So I started by grinding out the rivets to the upper ball joints, and it all went down hill from there.

Long story short, tools broke, the new parts were not quite a perfect fit so they needed a little modifying to get them right, and not to mention the 49 years of rust and crap I had to fight to get things apart.

I took me an entire day to replace the top driver side ball joint, and get some of the driver side lower ball joint apart and ready to be removed so I can finish tomorrow. This was quite possibly the most difficult ball joint replacement project I think I've ever had to do.

Oh and don't even get me started on the grease nipple to the new ball joints being a metric size,

All this so I can pass the stupid state inspection too

Anyone else had the fun of doing this?
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
chance65c20

Re: Replacing upper and lower ball joints on the '63, not much 'fun'

yes i was fighting the passenger side lower ball joint for days. i finally had to heat the spindal with a rose bud and beat the hell out of it and finally came apart. I never thought i would get it apart, i think i shed a tear when it came apart. lol!!!!
chance65c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
AngryPirate

man....I just had some fear shiver through me knowing I may have this task ahead of me.
AngryPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
brap999

The uppers aren't so bad, you may just have to grind the rivets off if they have never been replaced before.

The lowers however, are a beast. I spent last night with a torch heating the lower control arm and beating on the lower ball joint to pop it out, with no luck, though I ran out of gas so I may not have had it hot enough. Once this rain stops I'll get a new tank and try it again.

I should mention I found a series of 4 videos out there where some guy replaces the ball joints on a '66 C10, might be useful for someone who hasn't done this before. I know it's helped me:
www . youtube . com/watch?v=LqBmY3GXunY&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP1E5035955B139F30
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Last edited by brap999; 05-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Chad215

I've been fighting with a lower ball joint/spindle connection for a couple of days now. Soaking in PB blaster, beat it with hammer, wash, rinse, repeat.
The driver side came apart pretty easy, but this one is a pain. Haven't tried a torch yet since I don't have one, but it looks like that will be my next thing to try.
Good luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
brap999

It's my understanding the only two ways to get that lower ball joint out is heating the control arm and using a big hammer, or a ball joint press. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a ball joint press, so heating and banging is the only option.

I don't think you'll be able to bang it out without heating that control arm up. I know my are in solid.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
killerb68

I just went to AutoZone and got the ball joint press from their loaner tool...you have to leave a $100 deposit but you get it back......makes life a lot easier...lol
killerb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
hop sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerb68 View Post
I just went to AutoZone and got the ball joint press from their loaner tool...you have to leave a $100 deposit but you get it back......makes life a lot easier...lol
X2 on the ball joint tool also use a good air hammer with a pickle fork attachment if available makes easy seperation of joint from spindle aloha
hop sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Usually the ball joints will come loose from the spindle, if you hit the spindle on the side where the ball joint is a few times with a 3 or 5 pounder. Just one option.

As for the lower ball joint in the LCA, I would recommend the ball joint press. If you can't find one to rent/borrow, Harbor Freight has the cheap made in China ones fairly cheap. Especially once you figure in the reduced time and aggravation. Even if you just use it this one time, then sell it on craigslist.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
brap999

Hours of heating the LCA and beating on the lower ball joint led me to nothing but frustration, and a headache, and a ball joint that was still in the same place it was 49 years ago. So as Captainfab and others have suggested, I broke down and rented a ball joint press.

Turns out the Advance Auto down the street did have one for rent after all, when I finally spoke to someone behind the counter that new what one was. I rented $100.00, and they refund the full amount when I return it in good shape.

All I can say is that it made my life so much easier, and had the old one out, and new one installed in under an hour.

Never again will I not listen to those who have more experience at this than me. Lesson learned
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ