The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
clb1024

Gas filler idea

I have not seen this yet:

I was thinking of using this fuel cell mounted in the rear frame http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-293220-S/ with this filler neck http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290191/

To fill the tank I was thiining of leaving the stock filler in the cab and plumbing it back to the tank.

Feedback and thoughts please.
04 Miti Endeavor AWD(wife's ride)
76 Dodge D100 Club Cab(Hand-me down from my Grandfather)
clb1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
JKady

Re: Gas filler idea

Lots of room for leaks to spring up, you'd be surprised how much flexing the frame does. You may run into issues with it being hard to fill or very slow to fill as well.
JKady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
clb1024

I was thinking of using stainless exhaust pipe fully welded the lenght. I was also planning to hang it using exhaust hangers.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
JKady

I still think you're going to have a tough time getting it to fill right, There's also the matter of sealing wherever the filler exits the cab.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
clb1024

Good piont. I haven't thought much about the cab exit. After filling a van(cab over) with a long filler neck, I see what you mean about it being hard to fill. The mechanic that I spoke with at the gas station said it would probably fill fine(not sold after seeing him fill my van). The other concern he brought up was: If you fill it up to the point where the pump auto stops, there will be about 3-4 gallons of gas above the roll over vent(he didn't say way that might be bad).

I still like the idea, but I think I will wait till someone who has done it says, "it works fine here a some pictures).
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
JKady

I don't know that the auto stop deal would be much of an issue, I've yet to come across a pump where that setup actually worked on my truck or any older (60's-70's) vehicle I've had. I've always been stuck holding the nozzle in the filler. Depending on how the fuel cell is vented you might end up with a situation where it basically pushes fuel right out the top since you've put in more gas than it can hold, cold vapor lock too if the vent is covered and can't do its job. It's a neat idea, and could be done, and I don't want to discourage creativity, but I have a feeling it isn't just something you could throw together and have work right out of the gate.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
clb1024

I agree you just can't through it together and make it work. I thought I would present the idea here and see if its been done. I've looked a lot of the builds on this site and I sit here wishing I had even a 1/10 of the talents of the people customizing their trucks. I have learned more here that I ever thought I would.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
SunSoaked

I have been pondering the same issue. Then yesterday I looked at my worktruck Ford 250 4x4, and realized the fill tube runs from just behind the cab waaaay back along the frame to the tank near the differential. I'd guess the fill tube is 5-6 feet long. It also has a 1/2 vent tube that runs next to it the entire lenght to the fill spout. The tube looks about 1 1/2 -2 inches in diameter. It fills fast and works fine with very little downslope from the fill hole to the tank.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Wootdog

Your avator is too small for my old eyes to see if it is a stepside or a fleetside. Even with my reading glasses. What I did on my stepside is put the fuel filler in the left rear fender. It has a fuel door like a newer truck. And I used a 73-87 chevy truck plastic holder for mounting the filler in the fender.
Kerry
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
clb1024

It's currently a LWB Fleetside. I will be moving my cab and front clip to a 68 GMC SWB with a stepside bed.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
clb1024

Another
Attached Images