The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
tab a

carb mounting torque?

I'd recently asked about a carb running rich, and leaking gas--when shut off.

Just finished putting a kit in the carb, and it still leaks--from the left side, somewhere near the throttle shaft. I'm kind of paranoid about cranking down on the 4 mounting bolts as I've read about warping the carb.

I checked the surfaces when I had it apart, and though not dead flat, it looked to be within a couple thou most spots.

Is there a suggested mounting torque? Maybe it's already too tight?

Thanks.

(On the plus side, it does seem to idle better, at least for the brief time it's been run.)
tab a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: carb mounting torque?

Just snug. I'd say 8-10 FT#'s at most.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
jocko

If you stuck a straight edge across the bottom and didn't see air gaps shining thru when you had it torn down, it's flat enough. Gasket will compensate for a few thou.

You mentioned leakage near throttle shaft. That's no an uncommon area - but brings up some questions.

- during the rebuild, did you re-bush the throttle shaft? Normally not part of a kit.
- so, if you did and it's leaking, I'd guess you maybe over-honed it a bit - but not likely.
- more likely, I am guessing you did not put new bushings to eliminate any slop and maybe should have.
- if it was so worn that it leaks now, and you didn't monkey with the throttle shaft - do you know if it was leaking before you rebuilt it? If yes, then I'm guessing the throttle shaft needs to be re-bushed. If it wasn't leaking before, then I'm a bit stumped.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
geezer#99

It's not how tight you're trying to torque it down that's making it leak.
Needle and seat is leaking or float level is too high.
Look in the carb when it's running and you might see a little excess fuel.
What carb??
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
tab a

Sorry--forgot to say: Rochester 4 bbl, 72 C10.

I haven't figured out exactly where the leak is from. Before the rebuild, I suspected the gasket (which I hadn't replaced when I cleaned the carb a year or 2 ago), but now with new gaskets, I question that. SEEMS to be from pretty close to the same place. Not much of a leak, happens only after shutting the truck off, and hard to see around all the throttle stuff. (No I didn't mess with throttle bushings. )

Needle and seat are new, so that seems unlikely. Set float height at 3/8", but am not sure that's correct as I couldn't find a spec anywhere!

8-10 ft-lbs? That's almost nothing. I imagine I'm a ways past that.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
geezer#99

Just because you have a new needle and seat doesn't gaurentee it's not causing the slight flooding. Could be you hung the needle clip on the float wrong. It's supposed to be hooked on and not hooked thru one of the holes. If you hook it through the hole the needle gets pulled off centre and won't seat correctly.
Here's a link to a pic. You can see the hook installed correctly. Not thru the hole on either side.
http://www.vetteprojects.com/kstyer/quadrajet_4.htm
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
tab a

I used several different how-to's from the web to be sure I rebuilt it correctly, so am confident the needle is installed correctly. Still don't know if 3/8" is correct for float height, though.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab a View Post
Set float height at 3/8", but am not sure that's correct as I couldn't find a spec anywhere!.
All specs are in the rebuild kit.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
BMERDOC

Ok, I'm gonna go under the assumption that it leaked gas before the rebuild and now it leaks air. 8-10 ft. lbs. is a good torque. They don't have to be super tight (valve covers are 15 in. lbs.)
If it is leaking air I think Jacko is on the right path. Qjets were notorious for worn throttle shafts. Grab the throttle and wiggle it to see if there is excessive play. If it seems like it does but you still question it spray carb cleaner where the shaft goes into the base plate to see if idle changes. If it does, pull it and have the shaft rebushed.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
tab a

<All specs are in the rebuild kit. >

Granted my eyes are getting older but I don't see any spec on the instructions. It DOES say WHERE to measure, but NOT how high the float should be. Kit was from Rock Auto.

It leaked gas before the rebuild, it leaked gas after the rebuild--both times NOT while running, but just after being shut off. I torqued it a bit more and wrote for advice. Today, it does not seem to leak.

Haven't run it for more than a few minutes, total. Will see how it does.

Thanks.