The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
1972BackInBlackC10

front cross member and steering removal tips

i looked around and didnt see much on this, i saw conversions from drum to disk but im not doing a conversion, im stripping my frame to paint it and im wondering if i can take my cross member out mostly in tact as my steering parts are fairly new and it woud be nice if i didnt have to pay for a wheel alignment after i reinstall it

just wondering if theres spots to mark or reference points etc to make this job easier, iv never removed or installed one before so im a little nervous as i plan on removing mine this weekend

any info, tips, links to threads wuld be greatly appreciated
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Mike Bradbury

Re: front cross member and steering removal tips

The entire cross member A arms and all will drop right out of the truck all connected. The steering is another issue. There are several points forward of the main cross member that need to be unbolted as well. Does it have power steering? it would be a little easier to handle if you did it in steps. Remove the steering rod ends from the spindles and the steering shaft from the steering box then drop out the steering system. After you get all that out of the way it will make it easier to get to the cross member and unbolt it. There are 12 bolts (IIRC) holding the CM in place. three on each side of the frame (behind the upper A arm bracket) and three on the bottom of each frame rail. By taking it apart at the spindles you will not have to re align after as long as you mark all the shafts so you know if they have spun or not.

I am assuming the engine is not in the truck?

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Sammy

I didn't pull the engine cross member but did the lower control arms, spindles n tie rods. Without removal of the spindles n lower arms I can't see how your going to clean n paint everything on the cross member. Using the engine hoist I just stood the frame on the back tires.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
1972BackInBlackC10

thanks mike and sammy, mike the truck does have power steering and the motor is already out

sammy, since the steering has to come off before the cross member and a arms etc as mike mentioned these pieces wont be an issue now to pint
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
1972BackInBlackC10

mike what kind of paint did you use on your A arms? i like the black and slver look, i was thinking about doing that instead of all black, now that iv seen yours im thinking i will do the same and possibly paint my sway bar silver as well
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
i looked around and didnt see much on this, i saw conversions from drum to disk but im not doing a conversion, im stripping my frame to paint it and im wondering if i can take my cross member out mostly in tact as my steering parts are fairly new and it woud be nice if i didnt have to pay for a wheel alignment after i reinstall it

just wondering if theres spots to mark or reference points etc to make this job easier, iv never removed or installed one before so im a little nervous as i plan on removing mine this weekend

any info, tips, links to threads wuld be greatly appreciated
When I did my truck I disassembled everything including the front suspension. Frame, front crossmember, A arms, springs, steering pieces and spindles were powdercoated then re-assembled. Looks Mo Bettah!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Mike Bradbury

When I did my cross member I disassembled everything down to the nuts and bolts and powder coated everything. I used the two stage chrome for the A arms and gloss black for the X member itself. I used a translucent red for the springs. It cost about $400 for all the coating, but with as much of a beating that the X member gets with road debris and chemicals like brake fluid, power steering fluid, and antifreze, figured that powder coating was a better choice than just paint that would have bubbled off by now.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
1972BackInBlackC10

thanks for the pics, i will probably just end up taking everything apart like you guys did and paint it all with por15, if i dont it will just pick at my brain even thouh you cant really see it

wish we had a powder coater here in town but we dont, and with the price of fuel i dont really want to travel to have it done, iv heard good things about por15 so i think i will just go that route

maybe i should take lots of pictures so this info is out there? i tend to get carried away when i start wrenching and forget to take pics haha
Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Mike Bradbury

Be extra careful when bleeding the brakes. It would be a bummer to bubble all your work with a leak.

Eastwood has powder coating supplies and thats how i did half of my stuff. The big stuff I had to have done professionally but you could definitely fit your control arms in a electric Craig's list oven for sure. Saves a ton of money!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
1972BackInBlackC10

the idea for using the eastwood stuff for small stuff seems like a good plan even for the silver pieces. what does it cost and all come with?

as for the por15 it absorbs into the metal and isnt supposed to rust, chip, flake. scratch etc
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I just did the 73-87 crossmember swap. If I could give one piece of advise it would be to use your existing crossmember and swap over the a-arms and other stuff. The main reason is brake line brackets. If you keep the original crossmember you can use the early steel brake lines and conversion rubber hoses to the calipers. Just my .02.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Mike Bradbury

I bought my gun and power supply from Harbor Freight, looks like the same gun. I buy my powder through Eastwood and it really depends on which powder you get and the amount. The more you get the less the cost. Here is the web page for the reflective chrome;
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...ve-chrome.html

I did my oil pan and valve covers in an ordinary oven before I built my own oven. Remember this is an investment that will be a little expensive at first but then you have all the equipment and it just gets cheaper as you coat more items.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
1972BackInBlackC10

bucksSS: i have a 67 LWB that somone did some swap on at ne oint in time as it has 5 lug front and back an disck brakes up front, im using this suspension in my 69 SWB frame for the two obvious reason plus the 67 is lowered

Mike: thanks for the link, you made your own oven? do i even want to know? lol im not too sure if i should do any powder coating, im woried that it will clash with my frame since i will be using por15 for it
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Mike Bradbury

Yes I made my own oven. It is not too difficult. I made mine out of S.S. because I knew it was going to be living outside, but there are all kinds of build instructions and videos via Google search. I basically found an old electric oven on Craig's list and made my own bigger box.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
1972BackInBlackC10

right on, maybe i should build one just tall and long enough to fit a frame in and buy a couple used stoves lol jk im wondering if i should replace the bolts in the front end or reuse the old ones, what do you think? is there a replacement bolt kit out there?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #16
Mike Bradbury

I reused mine because they were in great shape. Here in So Cal rust is not a problem. If yours are questionable then just replace them. I believe they are Grade 8. I do not know of any replacement bolt kits, the NAPA I go to has a good bolt section in the back with all kinds of structural and frame hardware.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #17
1972BackInBlackC10

thanks mike, up here its a lil questionable im sure i will have one heck of a time getting the bolts off so i will likely end up going to the bolt store here in town and buying some, i was also thinking about replacing the rivets in my crossmemebers and body mounts with grade 8 bolts but im not sure about that