The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
lwb66

What kinda shock is this??

I was looking at starting the suspension work on my 66 and noticed the front shocks and i have never seen one of these before. I also found that the whole frame had been painted and all new body mounts were installed..Thats a bonus for sure.. See i inherited this truck a month ago so i'm still going over everything and seeing what all was already done or needs to be replaced. But the shocks I have never seen before.. Looks like they are only a couple of years old and still work good. Just curious is anyone else has them and knows what they are called and possibly who makes them ..
Attached Images

lwb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: What kinda shock is this??

called a spring shock.....Spring shock absorber as the name suggests is used to absorb the jerks or bumps by using coil spring. The spring shock absorber is given stiffer character by tightening the spring. The center of the spring shock absorber usually contains rebound dampening unit. As the shock absorber changes the length the flow fluid inside the shock absorber starts.

Springs length is usually controlled by turning the disc at the bottom of the spring on the threads. The shorter spring length increases the preload, making the rear wheel more resistant to upward motion. The dampening is both controlled and adjusted in the spring shock absorber by controlling the fluid reservoir. If the dampening is increased the motion of the shock is slowed down.

The spring type of shock absorbers are usually utilized for protecting the delicate mechanisms, like instruments, from direct impact or or loads that are applied instantaneously. These types of springs are often made of rubber or similar elastic material.

The springs that are used in different spring based shock absorbers are coil springs or leaf springs. In torsional shocks, torsion bars can be used. In most of the vehicles, springs or torsion bars as well as hydraulic shock absorbers are used.

Benefits
Spring Shock absorbers have certain benefits which are as follows:
• The damping effect is good.
• Smooth ride due to fine handling and braking.
• For different purposes, springs of different height are used.
• Used in various types of vehicles.
• Usually manufactured from the durable materials.
• Functions excellently in all road conditions.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
lwb66

1963-c10 thanks for the help on this..That's a lot of information on those things..I just have never used or seen one of those..

lwb66
lwb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
1963c-10

No problem. Very common to find stock on alot of motorcycles now.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote