The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
mattpiotr

PCV Valve

whats the point of a PVC Valve? i have not ran one on my truck for about a year. i thought about putting it back on and tying it in the back of the break booster line. i think the main reasson i took it off was it sucked to much vacuum off my edelbrock 600 and i didnt really have alot of power at the start. i do have 2 breathers on my valve covers tho.
mattpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
donut

Re: PCV Valve

Do a site search, this has been covered almost as much as an E-Bay HEI.

PCV will suck all of the nasties from your engine oil as it warms up, it can also clean up your engine compartment as the vapors your currently venting go there.

There should be a port near or at the front of the carb for the PCV, I personally wouldn't T into the booster (personal preference). It shouldn't pull to much vacuum from the carb, essentially it's a controlled leak, if it is, check the PCV valve (or change it, they're cheap). The Big 3 ran them for YEARS successfully.

I know there are folks that don't run one, my opinion, there's no reason not to

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Firebirdjones

No real reason not to run one unless the car didn't have one, and it would have to date back to about 67-68 before the big 3 started phasing them in.

Just an emissions device of sorts so you aren't venting raw vapors into the air. Rather the PCV vents them back into the engine where it is burned.

And that's where the removal of the PCV comes into play. They can dilute the air fuel mixture to some extent costing power. But the bigger concern is some poorly made PCV systems can actually suck some oil through the intake system, or an engine with worn oil control rings. This coats the intake manifold, intake valves, pistons, etc....and generally makes things very nasty inside. A catch can is a very good idea at this point.

I have cars here that are either way and don't have an issue with it. Generally the cars that came with a PCV, I have it functional. Cars that never had them, just your typical open breathers
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
mattpiotr

so its not really hurting anything if i dont run one or not? its going on a 86 2500 besides it being a daily driver its also my plow/work truck
mattpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpiotr View Post
so its not really hurting anything if i dont run one or not? its going on a 86 2500 besides it being a daily driver its also my plow/work truck
No it doesn't hurt a thing, unless you have to go through emissions tests and they do a visual. They might squabble about not having it An engine with worn rings may leave oily messes on the valve covers too, if that doesn't bother you then,,,,it's up to you.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
rayfinseats

I think they run better with them installed. They have to do with crank ventelation. On NASCAR and drag cars they win vacupan setups and air pumps and so on just to reduce crank pressure. I always ran one on my drag cars.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
THE "10" SILVERADO

If it cost you power it can't be much, so if it makes your engine run better by sucking the pressure out and keeps the fumes out of your engine (and possibly your cab) why not run one?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
If it cost you power it can't be much, so if it makes your engine run better by sucking the pressure out and keeps the fumes out of your engine (and possibly your cab) why not run one?
It's not alot. On a daily rig or a mild engine, it's not a big deal. You generally don't see a PCV on max effort higher HP builds for this reason though. The goal there is to vent the crank case, in some cases with a vacuum pump, but you won't see those guys venting it back into the fuel mixture, that's a no no.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
425HP409
425hp409

Never tie your PCV valve into the Power Brake hose as it will cause a loss of vacuum to the booster.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
RexDodge

I ran crank evap ports in my header collectors (drag car). Ran hose from my valve cover breathers to the ports. It helps with cavitation of your oil at higher rpm's. If the pressure is not equalized the oil whips up into the crank and then into your cylinders...not good. Really not needed on a street to mild engine...at least that's my opinion.
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote