The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
chevylu630

6" Suspension Lift Questions

I have a 1985 K20 and I've been wanting to get a 8" Skyjacker Suspension Lift. But, I've decided to just go with a 6". My questions are do I still need to to anything with my steering or switch to a 2wd sterring box like I would have to with the 8"? If theres anything else please let me know. Thank You!!
chevylu630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Re: 6" Suspension Lift Questions

You will still probably have to do something with your drive shafts. You will need to extend your brake lines or get drop brackets as well. Think you will need to get a dropped pitman as well. Been awhile since I played around with lifts. Sure someone else will chime in sooner or later.
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
liftlawssuck

6 inch is a nice size. Not too big and not too small. Mine has a 6 in it now. Anyways, you will need to either get longer brakes hoses or make up short pieces of tubing to extend brake lines. Emergency brake cables may have to be lowered. Longer shocks. I used a raised steering arm and it lines up great. Some people will tell you that you don't need to do anything with the drive shafts. But I always get my drive shafts cut any time I do anything to the suspension. The front will be especially too short. Other than that it's pretty easy and straight forward. Hope this helps.
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
chevylu630

@ liftlawssuck - What size tires are you running?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
liftlawssuck

I'm running 38 inch Gumbo Monster Mudders. The truck had 3 inch body lift as well. But the fine trooper of the Mass State Police said it was too big. So I took the body lift out. The tires were too expensive to not run so I cut the fenders. 35's would have fit though without cutting.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
chevylu630

Gotcha. Now I'm having a tuff time figuring out what lift to go with. It's either skyjacker or rc. Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
mud.man.rj

So if 35's fit with the wheel wells cut, then a 38 is really only 1.5" center of axle out (3" overall height of tire to look at) so a 4" lift would work great and still have room plus no drive shaft cutting with only a 4" lift only 6" and up, still need a kit with steering arm drop. One question though, OK was too tall with only a 3" body lift so pulling it out and adding a 4" or 6" suspension lift will be taller yet, makes no sense, cops either like you or not.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
muddstir

My 80 truck had a 4in lift with 3in body lift, worn but not bold 38's fit would only rub when I was turning sharp to enter and exit ditches.

I then bought an 8in lift (years ago) tore the truck apart but never finished putting it together. I just started back on the truck and saw the paper they sent with the lift.

For my 8in lift they sent paper work for a 4 to 6in lift, I called on that and they told me a 8 was same install as a 6in. For the front I got new 8in front leafs with wedges already in spring pack, extended front brake lines, the drop pitman arm , raised steering arm, shocks, and new u-bolts. For the rear I got the block set up that came with two 5.5 in blocks, four recurved leafs -2 short and 2 long ones, new center pins, u-bolts, and shocks. (wish i went with new 8in rear springs).

The paperwork said for the six inch lift to check drive shaft length (never got that far). It also says "you may have to do some grinding on the constant velocity joint cluster on the front drive shaft due to the angle".

(I was told by a family member to make some 1in spacers and put them between the tranny crossmember and the frame. I didn't do it, didn't know if it was the correct thing to do.)
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
liftlawssuck

mud.man.rj. Not really. I had a total of 9 inches. 6 inch suspension and 3 inch body. I pulled the body lift out and just left the suspension lift in. With my winter tires on I just barely at the legal limit.

chevylu630- I had a Skyjacker. I really liked it. I'm not really up on who makes lift kits much anymore. I would think from what I see and read that the newer guys might not have much technology in the older stuff. Not that there's a lot there. When I built my truck the first time. Skyjacker, Superlift, and Rancho were it. Superlift being known to have crazy lifts back then. I always like the looks of Skyjackers springs. They were quite beefy looking. They also offer the softride which does help a little. Either way you go just go with a name brand that will support their product. Call and talk the tech support guys and feel them out. You'll know right away with how they talk to you. I always had good talks with Skyjacker. Haven't talked to them in years and finally called them on my 2009 Silverado. They had the knowledge and very nice to me. Anyways hope this helps. Feel free to ask me more.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
chevylu630

Thanx for all the helpful info! When you installed your 3" body lift was their anything else you had to change or modify?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
liftlawssuck

Depending on manual or automatic you either have to lengthen your clutch rod or shift linkage. That's pretty much it. I went overboard as I couldn't stand seeing the gaps and being able to see the gas tanks. So I raised the tanks and rear bumper. I made a custom front bumper so there wasn't a gap.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
mud.man.rj

Depending on year of truck the fuel filler if behind a door will have to be extended and all trucks the E brake cables may need to be routed a bit different on side of frame.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote