The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
LOW1TON

Big changes, need advice and opinions!!

Hi, all I have been on here for a while and read on here everyday. This place is a awesome resource with great members always willing to help. That being said I need some help. I have an 88 crewcab chevy dually lowered with bags and 22" alcoa wheels. I am getting ready to tear it down to the frame and start all fresh. strip frame have it powder coated all new bolts and wiring, new custom fabbed cross memebrs, boxing some of the frame, dress up all my air ride, do lots of body mods and a total repaint inside and out, but my big hang up is my engine choice. I currently have a tbi 454 which is internally stock and works perfect but has no real eye appeal or wow factor. So I have been toying with the idea of an 80s small caterpillar v8 motor call the 3208. it is a small diesel engine can be turboed or not makes decent horsepower and great torque neither of which are a big deal to me I just like to cruise. My question is have you heard of any of these swaped into square bodies and 2 is it a good or bad idea. I would of course paint it cat yellow with some cool custom twist. If I did it i think it would be cool to hook to my side pipes and belch black smoke as you are driving down the road just my thoughts, I like the idea of something different under the hood other than the same old thing you are seeing everywhere. I also like the idea of no computers to make it run just fuel and electricity, let me know what you guys think and I will move forward from there. Also I will start a tear down and build thread when I start the project toward the end of summer.

Last edited by LOW1TON; 05-30-2012 at 05:49 PM.
LOW1TON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Big changes, nedd advice and opinions!!

A Cat in a dually sound like a cool idea, the only issue I see is that Cat motors and parts and labor are $$$$$(I know because I have one now and three others in the past.). If you got the bank I say go for it.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

A 3208 is a decent sized engine. What would you have to do to the truck to get it to fit? I am pretty sure it will fit the frame, just wondering about hood clearance. The Pete dealership I grew up working in built one for the owner back in the 80's. He convinced someone at Cat to give him a 3208, but hood clearance wasn't an issue with a 359 body on an 80's dually chassis.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
csb#356

I have to agree, I wouldn't call them small and those critters are pretty heavy. I've only seen one and I'm sure it can be done with the proper frame and suspension modifications but they are quite a bit bigger than your big block. Also what transmission would you hook to the SAE bellhousing?
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
86c20

Re: Big changes, need advice and opinions!!

it has been done on anther site there is a guy that worked on one 82?? 1ton with a 3208 dont know what trans but had 2 gear venders for over drive. the only problem i see as i too have looked into it was that it waighs 2000lbs and for only 500ftlbs i couldnt see the gains over the weight and that is when i started looking at detroit 453t less weight and more power i think. should you do it plz get a parts list and a wright up of what you had to do.
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
LOW1TON

these are all good points which is why I am asking the questions here, lots of knowledge base here. I have physically measured one of thes motors and I think it will fit other than maybe having to run a wide custom cowl hood which I am not opposed to. The big thing is the weight and the oil pan. weight I think I can overcome with different front air bags but I am concerned about my low profile tires wether they can handle the weight, second the oil pan would have to have the pickup location reversed to work with my cross member if I am thinking correctly, as for a transmission I have not got that far any suggestions? I am currently running a stock 4 speed. I looked into the Detroit option but I really liked the idea of a small v8 diesel but not a GM piece. Like I said nothing is set in stone just trying to get my head around the whole thing before I start tearing it down for the rebuild.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
legendman

Check over at 4btswaps, they have a section on swaps.
I would go with a duramax swap instead of the cat motor. Like others have said it's a heavy motor.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Love the truck. A diesel swap would fit its character well whatever you put in it.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
86c20

i was not saying a 6.2 or 8.2 i was meaning a 2 stroke what about a 6v53t or a cummin's v6 i think it is a 378 or a 504? or if you are a cat man what about a 3116 or a i think 3126? just trying to come up with a few other motors to think of. i too am on 4btswaps there are some realy good guys there too.
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote