The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Jeremy 63

CaptainFab!!!! Original 63 posi diff 17 spline

CaptinFab,
Here is Jeremy again. Just wanted to check in with you and give you a few up-dates on the 63 C10 LWB project. Also, thank you again for all the help with the original 63 rear end and the lengths of the shafts.

To my surprise, I was able to find an original posi diff which I am having shipped over here to Germany. Therefore, I am able to retain my 17 spline axles, great huh? All I did was order all the bearings and shims for the rear end, and next month it will be all put back together.

However I do have a question, is an original posi from 63 rebuildable?
I am trying to locate a clutch pack kit to rebuild the diff. The seller said that the clutch plates all look very good, however, I would like to get ahold of a kit to have it onhand later down the road. What do you think?

Ok, hope to hear from you soon and best wishes.
Jeremy Franklin
Posted via Mobile Device
Jeremy 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: CaptainFab!!!! Original 63 posi diff 17 spline

Hope this works.

https://picasaweb.google.com/normanm...eat=directlink

aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Jeremy 63

Also CaptainFab,
I had the front lower ball joints pressed out and new ones pressed in, however I now have a driver side ball joint that is loose in the a-arm.
I am sure this is not normal, and I have read that some have spot welded the ball joints in if they are loose.
What is your suggestion about this?

Wish you well,
Jeremy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Jeremy 63

Another thought,

Does anyone know what type of posi diff it would be from 63?
What I mean is, is it similar to an Eaton, etc?
It would be great to know if one can rebuild such a diff.

Also, thank you Aerotruk 63 for the very informative slide show posted earlier, however, it had no info on 1963 12 bolt posi diffs. But I do appreciate the gesture.

Best regards,
Jeremy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Hello Jeremy

That is great to hear that you found a 17 spline posi unit. The only 17 spline posi units I have seen are what were called a Dana posi unit. At least that's what I was told they were 30 some years ago at the local Chevy dealership. Anyway, they are different in that the springs are very heavy duty, and they push against aluminum plates against the spider gears. The typical Eaton posi has 3 or 4 different springs (different pound ratings) that push against stamped steel plates against the spider gears. I honestly don't know if new clutch packs are still available or not. It was over 30 years ago that I bought the ones I did at the locak Chevy dealer.

As for your lower ball joint issue, short stitch welds would be a way of fixing the loosness issue. You will want to take your time so as to not get the ball joint too hot. Of course the best fix would be to replace the lower control arm, but I realize than is not so easy when you are in Germany. Although, I have no idea how far you are from our 2 other German members, Fabian and Apache63 (Pat), but they might have an extra lower control arm since they have changed to the Porterbuilt Dropmembers.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote