The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
trelogix

Door skin replacement ?

My wife and I have been working on our passenger door for days trying to get the dents out and curves right but its not cooperating. We're thinking that it would be quicker just to replace the door skin at this point. Has anyone used the replacement door skins from Classic Industires/Brothers/etc? Since it is aftermarket and manufactured off shore, I'm not expecting a great fit (I replaced both rocker panels a last month), but I'm just curious what others have found. Thanks for the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C10 Short Wide
51 1/2 ton (in storage waiting for 66 to be done)
Pickups N Panels Club - Dallas/Ft Worth
trelogix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Rac65

Re: Door skin replacement ?

I went through the same thing on my 65. I bought a doorskin from Mikes bump and grind garage and it fit pretty well and looked good .
Posted via Mobile Device
Rac65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
hugger6933

If you are not use to doing that kind of work it can be challanging. The door skin has to be hammered over on the flaps and if not real carfull you canput them on crooked and really screw up the bodylines of your truck. Care must be taken as well when folding the flaps or you will end up wiping the area around the perimeter ,that is quite common. I am not trying to talk you out of doing it I just want you to be aware of the pitfalls. I have a SHARK. It is a door shinning tool that helps fold the flaps over but it is quite expensive for a person to have in their toolbox that does'nt do that type of thing on a regular basis. There are however less expensive door skin" helpers" I was looking in the new AutobodyToolmart catthat came in todays mail. Check them out, you might find something in there to help with your project. Good luck and happy sanding, remember it is called bodywork and not bodyfun for a reason
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
brap999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
remember it is called bodywork and not bodyfun for a reason
Quoted for truth!
Posted via Mobile Device
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
62 Barnfind

As Hugger6933 said it is challenging. I replaced my rt side door skin and lower door shell. It came out ok but I had to remove it because the body lines didn't match up. Take your time. My advice is after you cut the skin hang the door and line it up and use screws to hold it. Once you have it in place weld it in. I have done it and it would be easier if I was to do it again. Take your time and good luck!

My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
trelogix

x2 in the "bodywork vs bodyfun"! We lucked out recently and hooked up with a guy that's been in the body and paint biz for 20-some years and he's letting us work on the big peices at his shop. We're doing the work, but he jumps in and gives us pointers when needed. That's how we came to the conclusion on the door skin vs trying to reshape. We've been working on the truck now for about 3 years and we're not too shy about jumping in and trying something new. We will definitely be rehanging the door before anything gets welded in permanently as well. It looks like next weekend will be "new door skin weekend".

By the way, you may have noticed that I use "we" a lot. This was a project for me starting about 3 years ago, but whe I was doing the initial tear-down, she got a hold of an air gun she was hooked. She's a keeper!
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C10 Short Wide
51 1/2 ton (in storage waiting for 66 to be done)
Pickups N Panels Club - Dallas/Ft Worth
trelogix is offline   Reply With Quote