The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
zacthrasher

Drum to Disc Brake Wheel Offset Question????

Alright I am looking for wheels for my 67 C10. Currently I have the 5 lug disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the back. I plan to eventually swap my SB Chevy to a bigger LS motor. When I do this I plan to install disc brakes in the back. Will changing from drum to disc in the back change the offset needed for my wheels? Also will going to a bigger disc brake in the front change my offset?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: Drum to Disc Brake Wheel Offset Question????

Most of the rear kits typically add .25", so depending on which wheels you are looking at, it shouldn't make much of a difference. Most wheels don't fit that tight where a .25" will make a difference, but if you are having custom built wheels made, then I would add .25" backspace just because you can.

Same goes for the front, as it does vary per kit. If you are getting wheels before large brakes, just know which brake kit you want to use, and adjust accordingly. The big brake kits, like Wilwood or Baer, will have a spec sheet you can look at for all measurements to ensure your wheels will work.

Depending on how large you go, you also want to make sure the caliper offset will clear the wheels. On large 6 piston setups, the caliper will sometimes hang over the mounting surface, causing the caliper to hit the spokes of the wheels. Again, this all depends on what wheels and what brakes you go with. If going with a smaller kit up front, this may not even be an issue.

Just make sure to do research and plan ahead, so you know everything works together. If you do need help, feel free to give me a call.

Edit: Just took a look at your build thread. Very cool project you have going on, and I like the door handle idea.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
zacthrasher

Re: Drum to Disc Brake Wheel Offset Question????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
Most of the rear kits typically add .25", so depending on which wheels you are looking at, it shouldn't make much of a difference. Most wheels don't fit that tight where a .25" will make a difference, but if you are having custom built wheels made, then I would add .25" backspace just because you can.

Same goes for the front, as it does vary per kit. If you are getting wheels before large brakes, just know which brake kit you want to use, and adjust accordingly. The big brake kits, like Wilwood or Baer, will have a spec sheet you can look at for all measurements to ensure your wheels will work.

Depending on how large you go, you also want to make sure the caliper offset will clear the wheels. On large 6 piston setups, the caliper will sometimes hang over the mounting surface, causing the caliper to hit the spokes of the wheels. Again, this all depends on what wheels and what brakes you go with. If going with a smaller kit up front, this may not even be an issue.

Just make sure to do research and plan ahead, so you know everything works together. If you do need help, feel free to give me a call.

Edit: Just took a look at your build thread. Very cool project you have going on, and I like the door handle idea.
Thanks for the help!