The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
72tutone

To brace or not to brace

I have read several you should and is not needed posts in regards to welding the cab together when doing rocker panel/cab supports etc.
What seems to be the definitive answer? My cab is on the frame, and is not coming off, which leads me to my next question.
I need to replace the following on both sides; both front and rear cab supports, the rocker panel outer, b pillar's and a pillars. In addition the cab mounts are shot.
I should start by putting the cab mounts on first? that whay the cab is shored up on where its going to ride for hopefully along time.
Next cab supports? and then inner to outer?
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: To brace or not to brace

I did NOT brace my cab while doing these repairs on my truck and my driver door fits better than it did before. However I will likely brace mine on the pass side in a couple places: front pillar to rear pillar, and cab corner to floor. This would eliminate a lot of head scratching and measuring. But it will get in the way when doing the repairs.

As far as the order: cut out the old and start at the farthest part you have to replace: cab supports,floor pans & outer floor, kick panel, A pillar, B pillar, rocker, cab corner. That is my procedure anyway. I did not replace the cab mounts yet because my supports were in good shape. My cab is also on the frame while doing the repairs.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
72tutone

Thanks, for the input. Has anyone else replaced their rockers and braced or not braced their cab? I know more folks have done this.

So my other question remains unanswered.
Should I replace the cab mounts first? Again I hate to assume however it seems like it would make sense to have the cab where its gonna sit.
Please correct me if im wrong
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
cdowns

if you dont brace you can always just say "darn i should have braced it b4 i did it"
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
PBFAB.COM

I would recommend bracing the cab when doing extensive sheet-metal repair. It DOES help keep it fromt moving.

BUT.... the real key is to make sure you fit your doors up during the replacement of rockers/floor pieces/lower a-pillar etc. to check fitment. It will be a little extra work putting the door on and taking it back off to check, but a whole lot easier than doing all the work, only to find out the door fits like crap and having to cut it all up again.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I would recommend bracing the cab when doing extensive sheet-metal repair. It DOES help keep it fromt moving.

BUT.... the real key is to make sure you fit your doors up during the replacement of rockers/floor pieces/lower a-pillar etc. to check fitment. It will be a little extra work putting the door on and taking it back off to check, but a whole lot easier than doing all the work, only to find out the door fits like crap and having to cut it all up again.

Nate
Yep! you would be amazed how much the cab corner/rear pillar moves once you slice the cab corner off! And as Nate (porterbuilt) said fit the door throughout the process. I put my door on and off several times throughout the process to make sure that it lined up well and closed properly. I should have braced it like I said in the first post and I will brace it when I get on the passenger side. I was not recommending to not brace it I was just sharing my "lesson"

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
turp mcspray

I have never braced a pickup cab, and have never had any alignment problems. To me, the only way to do it is with doors installed. That way you know everything will fit.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote