The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
odog

Re: Crazy gas mileage rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
4x4 van would be nice. I was just worried about having all that fuel inside which is why i lean toward truck vs blaszer or van.

I was also thinking from a repairs on the road standpoint a 73-?? whatever. Theres less and less 67-72 out there. Tons of late 70s early 80s. If you were to break a u joint, driveshaft, hub etc it might be easier to find one of those.
That is true, there are a lot more of the 73+ vehicles out there, depending on which way you head. Up hear and farther north, there are still quite a few 67+ vehicles around. But, driveshafts, and ujoints can be taken out of a newer vehicle and put into an older usually with no modification. I am running a 1976 chevy rear driveshaft and a 1978 Bronco front driveshaft on my 69 chevy. As long as you have a couple of wrenches, a hammer, C clamp and large socket, you can get a ujoint from anything. Hubs are a little hard to do, since a lot of new vehicles started to go without locking hubs.

That is the beauty of our trucks, there isnt a whole lot to them, mechanically and electrically. What is there can usually be found on another, even newer vehicle. Spark plugs, wires cap, rotor, tires, wheels, drive shafts. Short of blowing the motor or breaking the shaft on the trans, it can be fixed relatively fast and easily. I think the same for 73-78 trucks, ford and chevy.

Just my opinion. I have put some thought into this, its always in the back of my mind, just what would happen. I would guess with the way the world is going right now that more and more people will be thinking along these lines as well.