The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
A 68 Wreck

'68 C20 Brake Push Rod Adj.

Hello.
I am bringing back to life my parked C20 Pick up.
The brakes went out a couple years ago, and so it has just sat, with me turning it over every other month.
I have replaced the front wheel and main cylinders.
My questions are w/ the 1)brake pedal adj and the 2)push rod to main cylinder adj.
1) I adjusted the pedal pad to floor, from in the cab on the pedal arm, to 3.5". I did this by removing a piece bolted to the pedal, which female threaded onto the push rod coming out of the body wall, and unscrewed it a bit and reset the lock nut. I believe all is good there?
2) The end of the push rod, coming out of the brake booster is also adjustable. When rod is pushed back into booster til it stops, I believe I have it set 1/8" from touching the main cylinder "piston". An 1/8" gap between end of rod and the main "piston". (Dual reservoir) Should it be touching? Partially compressing?

My main problem is when I tried to bleed all wheel cyls, the pedal went to the floor, and built up no pressure, and never became "firmer". A bit of fluid came out all cyls, no air. I saw no leaks.
I believe I am not "plunging" enough...but maybe it sat so long there is air wayyy down the lines?

Thanks in advance!!
A 68 Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote