The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Gregsenne

Clutch linkage problem

My 1986 1/2 ton truck used to be an automatic, and I put a SM465 4 speed in it. Trans, pedal set, and manual linkage are all from a 1979 1-ton truck. There is an extremely heavy helper spring under the dash for the pedal. There is a return spring from the clutch fork to the frame rail. There is a spring holding the Z-bar to the clutch fork. I had to use a piece of all-thread for the clutch fork pushrod because the factory one engaged about an inch from the floor, with the pushrod adjusted all the way out. Using allthread let the pedal engage about halfway through.

The problem I am having is the pedal does not return all the way back, and I can pull it the rest of the way up with the tip of my boot. It seems like the helper spring (in the cab) is overpowering the return spring.

So I removed the helper spring as some people suggested, but now it hurts my leg after driving in town for more than a few minutes. The pressure plate has some serious spring to it! I understand why there is a helper spring! But, with the helper spring removed, the pedal does return all the way up.

So does anyone have any suggestions? I hate to drive it without the pedal returning all the way, it makes me feel like the throwout bearing is riding the pressure plate (which would cause premature failure). Not to mention that every car or truck I've driven since then, I find myself wanting to pull the pedal back up inbetween gears, when it is already up! Switching to hydraulic is not an option, I'm poor!

Thanks for the assistance.
Gregsenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
76stepsidechevy

Re: Clutch linkage problem

I have the same feeling about having to pull up on the clutch pedal. Maybe see if the local harware store or parts store has a stiffer spring you can use for the return.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Desert1957

When you did the swap , did you notice if the transmission input shaft collar was undamaged? This area is critical to smooth operation of the throw out bearing , If its rough, dry or gouged the fork could be binding, causing the pedal not to rise back up.

Check the cross shaft bushings at the frame mount also.

I just had mine all apart during an engine swap, and with all those springs its hard to believe the pedal can't return by itself.

Recheck everything again for binding.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Gregsenne

I think theres something up with the helper spring in the cab. If I'm under the truck, it takes an incredible amount of force to push the rod back up into the cab with my hand, if that helper spring is attached. Does anyone have a pic of how the spring connects? Ill try to take apic of mine. Just to make sure. I cant think of anything else.
I know nothing is binding. Without the helper spring, everything moves very freely. I know the trans input shaft is good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Gregsenne; 06-14-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Gregsenne is offline   Reply With Quote