The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Gregsenne

Dual headlight conversion

Has anybody converted to dual headlights, WITHOUT swapping the core support? I've spent some time studying the two core supports, and as far as the shape, they are almost identical. The only difference I can see is the single headlight core support is missing the square holes for the adjusters, and the hole for the spring. Other than that, they appear identical.

I want dual headlights, but the donor truck's core support is smashed in the middle. I'm really starting to think about removing both core supports, and welding the headlight sections of the smashed one onto the good one... Seeing if anyone has any ideas before I go through all that work.
BTW... both trucks are 1986 4x4s.
Thanks!

Last edited by Gregsenne; 06-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Gregsenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Stew_Magoo
Account Suspended

Re: Dual headlight conversion

I thought the only time you had to swap core supports was when you were going to the small headlight set up they used from '89-'91?

EDIT: LMC shows different core supports for '81-'88 trucks, one for singles, one for duals. It's only $120, might not be worth the time to piece one together from two for that kind of money.
Stew_Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
v30crewcab

It could be done, most people would probably never notice. just depends on how much work you wanna do.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Axle

You've got a "doner" core to take measurements from, grab a drill and a file and make some holes.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Desert1957

I did it years ago when I wanted the dual headlight look.

The one problem I ran into was I drilled the holes for the high beam adjusters (Lower Bulb) and installed nuts on both sides of the core support. It made it a pain to adjusted the High Beams , but with the bezels and turn signals from the dual headlight setup it looked factory.

The Lower bulb bucket will semi fit in the old turn signal hole but its not pretty.

I don't know how rare the dual supports are now , but if I had it to do over I would swap the Core Support.

If you decide to weld some parts together I have a support I can send you pics of or measurements for reference.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
BLUE SQUARE

Gregsenne- I did one on an old truck - but I just swapped out core supports. I would recommend hitting the parts yard for one. They are actually pretty cheap, and you can take them from the burbs and k5s too. Also, you will need to grab the wiring harness for the lights. That's my .02

Good luck,

BLUE SQUARE
BLUE SQUARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Desert1957

Yes,
Very GOOD tip about the Harness needed^^^^^^^^^

Desert
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Order a new core support from www.certifit.com

Convert and punchout the cut for ram air!!

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/ram_air.htm
Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

As many 89/91 suburban front end upgrades that have been done, there are 100's of used GM dual lamp supports laying around I bet. I have 3 of them here, to bad you're so far away.

If you get one from LMC or sortafits, don't forget to also get one of these:
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Desert1957

One thing I forgot to mention was the "Headlight Adjusters" from the factory core were a square cut hole probably punched out.

This makes it harder to make it function properly after installation of the bucket.

Desert
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Axle

Thats why I listed a file to go along with the drill. Triangle files make great square holes. Go figure. =-)

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Gregsenne

Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry it took so long for me to get back to a computer with internet. I think for now I'm going to try to convert my core support by drilling holes first. Main reason I don't want to swap core supports is because I'm poor! I already have all the parts, including the wiring harness, adjuster screws, springs, buckets, bulbs, grille, etc., just no core support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Magoo View Post
LMC shows different core supports for '81-'88 trucks, one for singles, one for duals. It's only $120, might not be worth the time to piece one together from two for that kind of money.
$120 is not that bad, but it's the $150 in freight shipping they tack on top of it that makes it too expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
The Lower bulb bucket will semi fit in the old turn signal hole but its not pretty.
What do you mean by not pretty? I figured it would be a pain to make it work perfectly, but once it's in there, do you notice the difference once the bezels are installed? This is the main thing I am worried about.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsenne View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry it took so long for me to get back to a computer with internet. I think for now I'm going to try to convert my core support by drilling holes first. Main reason I don't want to swap core supports is because I'm poor! I already have all the parts, including the wiring harness, adjuster screws, springs, buckets, bulbs, grille, etc., just no core support.

$120 is not that bad, but it's the $150 in freight shipping they tack on top of it that makes it too expensive!

What do you mean by not pretty? I figured it would be a pain to make it work perfectly, but once it's in there, do you notice the difference once the bezels are installed? This is the main thing I am worried about.

Thanks!
The problem I ran into was the single Headlight setup has these large turn signal buckets that sit under the Headlight. Once I removed them , I installed the smaller (4651) High beam Headlight and bucket in its place. What you will find is the opening is so large it barely gives you enough room to drill for the headlamp adjusters. Its also very hard to get the lower (Dual Headlight) center in the Dual Bezel, the opening in the single headlight core is not centered directly where it needs to be for the swap.

When I set "Its Not Pretty" what I meant was the Headlight bucket screws may have to be drilled at an angle for proper alignment, and its hard to make the high beam mount flush with the outer trim bezel.

IMO it never really looked as good as the dual setup with the correct core, but I'm anal so maybe yours can turn out OK.

If you can be patient and keep searching , I found one a friend had one for $50.00 , came complete with Headlights and a complete harness, Deals are out there. Just have to find someone who doesn't know what they have. Not like this forum where Everybody knows the true value of "Square Body" used parts.

Hope this post made sense.

Desert
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
Gregsenne

Yeah that makes sense, im pretty anal too, im sure it would bug me! Ill probably wait for another core support (or weld these two together).
Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device