The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
syncrov69

Unhappy Cluster left flasher indicator stay on!

I have a problem with my left flasher indicator in my cluster. The indicator is always ON, on a half intensity when the headlights are ON and the indicator don`'t flash but the right one work well. I tried to change the circuit board with another that I had but it is the same result. What do you think?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
MikeyMan

Re: Cluster left flasher indicator stay on!

Probably a bad ground or connection. Make sure your bulbs are good too.
My left front turn signal sometimes does that. When my dash indicator lights up, I know the TS ain't right. I get out and wiggle the wires at the back of the socket and it comes back on and dash indicator goes out.
Mine is a 71, so the TS housings ground to the bumper. I've replaced the rusty screws with stainless.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Todd Hepler
Rottenwood Garage Member

2 possibilities come to mind:

1- Wrong bulb: a single element bulb in one of the lights will backfeed voltage from the parking circuit into the turn signal circuit causing the dash indicator to stay on and the flasher to not work. This is what I would check first.

2- Cardboard tube inside the cluster is loose or missing causing reflected light from the gauge cluster to shine through the indicator arrow. This doesn't explain why the blinker doesn't work though...

Good luck!

Todd
Todd Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
C5Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMan View Post
Probably a bad ground or connection. Make sure your bulbs are good too.
My left front turn signal sometimes does that. When my dash indicator lights up, I know the TS ain't right. I get out and wiggle the wires at the back of the socket and it comes back on and dash indicator goes out.
Mine is a 71, so the TS housings ground to the bumper. I've replaced the rusty screws with stainless.
I had same issue- after I re-assembled front end (during rebuild) it seems to have disappeared- leading me to think it was a bad ground--
C5Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
syncrov69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hepler View Post
2 possibilities come to mind:

1- Wrong bulb: a single element bulb in one of the lights will backfeed voltage from the parking circuit into the turn signal circuit causing the dash indicator to stay on and the flasher to not work. This is what I would check first.

2- Cardboard tube inside the cluster is loose or missing causing reflected light from the gauge cluster to shine through the indicator arrow. This doesn't explain why the blinker doesn't work though...

Good luck!

Todd
1-Ok I don't have bulb installed I just make a test in my cab with the cluster, the only working bulb is the dome lamp and the cluster bulbs.

2-The cardboard is ok and I have a delay (very light delay) between the backlight of the cluster and the left indicator!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Todd Hepler
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrov69 View Post
1-Ok I don't have bulb installed I just make a test in my cab with the cluster, the only working bulb is the dome lamp and the cluster bulbs.

2-The cardboard is ok and I have a delay (very light delay) between the backlight of the cluster and the left indicator!
The bulbs I am referring to are the taillight or front signal bulb - They are two-element 1157's. You can jam a single element (1156?) in there and it'll light up, but the single contact bridges the parklight/turn signal contacts and feeds voltage from the park light circuit into the turn signal circuit, causing the dash indicator to stay on when the parking lights and/or headlights are on.

Its a quick and easy test and fix

-T
Todd Hepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
ole dollor

syncrov69: a bulb can also cross over inside itself, one elements can come loose from where it is connected, and touch to other element ,walk around your vehicle with all of your different lights on and see if they are the same. like park lights on,then rt turn, then left turn,then brakes lights, or you can remove one bulb at a time and see if this will turn off the dash light...if its one of the turn signal or brake light bulb it will light up the other lights also....a 1156 like tod helper said will cause problems also might check both ways....hope this helps...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote