The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Noob again, advice is needed...please, help

Ok, guys please don't reply with rude comments...I am a true novice to wrenching on my truck, that being said here are my questions.

I've installed dcap and ran the wires
Shortest wires being 7, 8 to longest further away (meaning 2, 1 being the longest)
Mechanic screwed up my wires up and I'm p!ssed and puzzled, lol.
Does this sound right with the wires?
I think he stole my haynes book and some ratchets are mia. That sucks, and the pr!ck won't answer his phone. But that's another story.

So, the dcap is a Delco-Remy, I searched the net and set the wires in this order, 18436572 is this right because it still won't start. Could it be the timing?
Its getting fuel and I did the static timing thing suggested, but still no start. But when I removed the #1 plug and bumped it, it sounded better then with it in, like it was about to start, but couldn't. And the air flow was decent but not really strong, not sure if that makes a difference.

Also, thin black wire that connects to negative batt terminal is cut off, does this wire connect to the alternator? If not where does it connect. Thanks.

Any advice is sincerely and greatly appreciated. Thanks so much again.

84 swb 305/th350
Edelbrock 4 barrel 1406
Dual exhaust
Dual tanks (pass side bypassed)

New fuel pump, hard line and hoses. Old fuel pump dropped about a teaspoon of gas after bottle teasting.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
deth_1970

Re: Noob again, advice is needed...please, help

sounds to me he didn't do it right, 18436572 is correct, going clockwise, normally and from the factory #1 is located next to the plug in on HEI, the goes from there,

I would pull it up on #1 TDC (top dead center) and see where the rotor is pointing, then check the wires from there going in the firing order,
02 Gmc sierra
deth_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
cfan10

^Ok, checked and the rotor is pointing straight across (like from fender to fender, if that makes sense) is this normal? Thanks for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
deth_1970

is it up on #1 tdc, look at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer, and the timing tab, and #1 piston needs to be on the compression stroke, (pull #1 plug, hold finger over spark plug hole , have friend bump it over till finger is forced off hole, ie pressure builds up)

I would check your wires, start at #1 then follow the rest and the black wire you described is it part of the wires coming from your dist?
02 Gmc sierra
deth_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote