The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Pablo22

Another Lowering Question

I just bought a 65 LB and I want to use it as a Bike (Harley) Hauler. I want to lower the truck but still be able to put a bike or two in the back when necessary - what is my best bet?
Pablo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Another Lowering Question

Buy a trailor! I can't haul 500lbs. in the back of my stepper after dropping it with jeep springs. Honestly you can pull more than you can haul. If you buy a trailor you'll find all kinds of reasons to use it.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
MisterC

Give serious consideration to the Porterbuilt Stage 1 rear kit. Very economical and I've heard great things about the results.

http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.co...-1963-1972-365
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Pablo22

Indian - Sound advice, I'm sure. Already have a couple of trailers that are great for hauling bikes but I'm determined to find a way to do this.

MisterC - Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a good look at Porterbuilts setup.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

That would definitely be a need for an air bag setup in the rear at least. This way you can tailor the height to match the load.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
hopped up

if you wanna haul DONT USE JEEP SPRINGS!! cant carry much using those springs. an air bag setup may be the thing to help you carry a bike while still having a decent ride
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
bama63

x3 on the airbags
Old 06-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Nopocustoms

A friend of mine used 70's El Camino air shocks to allow him to haul a harley around in his bed - He thought it was the solution!

Looking at your truck, I assume you have trailing arm suspension - At a recent show, I saw a gentlemen who used Firestone Frieghtliner cab air bags in front of the axle on the trailing arm mounted to a crossmember with a land-rover air-suspension hieght sensor, a single relay, a frieghtliner air solenoid - and a harbor freight air bottle (for filling tires) hooked to a Air-ride on board compressor.

I thought the system was pretty sharp, and he told me the bags were 40 bucks at a truck salvage yard, the sensor was 5 bucks from a u-pullit, the Firestone compressor was around 50 bucks, the bottle was 14.95 on sale, and the 60 dollar solenoid was a the most expensive part - he didn't mention the cost of airline, but it was plastic air-brake stuff - so I assume he boosted it from work! It was a pretty sharp setup for 170 bucks, however it was run from s single toggle switch -

Granted this system was completley home-brewed, I thought it was pretty impressive-
Nopocustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
DenimViking64c10

@Indian113: how much lower did you get with the jeep springs? and what type of jeep did they come out of?
DenimViking64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Indian113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimViking64c10 View Post
@Indian113: how much lower did you get with the jeep springs? and what type of jeep did they come out of?
About 4 inch's they are TJ springs I bought off e-bay for 35 dollars.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Pablo22

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I got a quote from a local Riverside Guy - two compressors and airbags all around for $1500. I am going to get a couple more quotes before I commit but everyone I have spoken to said that sounds like a good deal.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo22 View Post
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I got a quote from a local Riverside Guy - two compressors and airbags all around for $1500. I am going to get a couple more quotes before I commit but everyone I have spoken to said that sounds like a good deal.
Will you be hauling bikes on a dialy basis? If so, the compressor & tank route is the way to go but you can do a simple paddle valve set-up for half that price listed (or cheaper).

If it's just occasionally hauling bikes, mount the bags in the rear just like swapping in lowered coils. Run some DOT .250" airline to schrader valves & add extra air when required (use a tire pressure gauge for dialing it in). Bleed the extra air out when your done just like you would if you put too much air in a tire. 2x bags, DOT air line, & 2x schraders can be done for <$300. I ran this set-up for almost 2yrs w/o issue. I only upgraded to the compressor & tank because I started using my car trailer more frequently.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
DenimViking64c10

Thanks for the info @Indian113!! Starting a build of my own and wanting lower it on the cheap so this helps. Thank you tons.
Posted via Mobile Device
DenimViking64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
Pablo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Will you be hauling bikes on a dialy basis? If so, the compressor & tank route is the way to go but you can do a simple paddle valve set-up for half that price listed (or cheaper).

If it's just occasionally hauling bikes, mount the bags in the rear just like swapping in lowered coils. Run some DOT .250" airline to schrader valves & add extra air when required (use a tire pressure gauge for dialing it in). Bleed the extra air out when your done just like you would if you put too much air in a tire. 2x bags, DOT air line, & 2x schraders can be done for <$300. I ran this set-up for almost 2yrs w/o issue. I only upgraded to the compressor & tank because I started using my car trailer more frequently.
Thanks Scoti - I'm not familiar with these systems and don't really have anywhere to work on my truck. I don't mind supporting the local professionals - I just want to get it done right and notget ripped off in the process. Thanks for your advice.