The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
cjlinkster

Are aftermarket fenders that bad in quality?

I have been looking and looking for a used front clip to go on my truck. In my area front clips are going for $300+.

After looking at 5 different front clips, I am feeling like the aftermarket ones may not be so bad. Seriously, each of the front clips that I looked at either had rust or were dented to no ends. argh!!!

I drove (and pulled a trailer) 1 & 1/2 hours the other day to look at a front clip in "perfect shape". That "perfect shape" front clip was covered with hail dents.

Should I keep searching or just go for the new aftermarket pieces and take my chances??????
Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
baclay9

Re: Are aftermarket fenders that bad in quality?

Front clips in good shape are going for $125-$250 here. I would keep looking. I just don't believe you can beat OEM if you can find it.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
cjlinkster

Its just so frustrating driving all over the area, and then finding junk that people are over charging $$ for.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
v30crewcab

since you're in atlanta, go to the pullapart. theres 3 around you. thats where I got my 91 core support.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
SSC's76
No No

I look at it this way. Back on 98 when my dad i I restored my truck we fixed a set of factory fenders. My dad was real good with metal work the worse it was the better it ended up looking. They lasted about 8 years before the fenders started to go again and other spots that were clean started to rust. Aftermarket fenders are not as thick but its new metal ans are usually dipped in some sort of zink primer. I choose to get aftermarket fenders this time around. Ive seen some trucks that look real nice with the after market parts, as long as they are stamped correctly you will not have any issues. The only after market part i would steer clear from is the tail gate the are thin stand on it and you feel it bend. There a good chance no one will be standing on your fenders
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
1774btcrew

I am a bodyman by trade and would steer clear of aftermarket fenders. They are thinner as stated and to get them to fit correctly you can spend as many hours as fixing a damaged/rusty OEM set. Then when you are done with all of the fitting you still have a thinner lesser quality set. We have tried aftermarket fenders on these trucks before and had at least one or two holes on each fender that didnt remotely line up. I would look at it this way, figure out what your time is worth compared with the cost of purchasing a good set of OEM fenders. From my experience your better quality aftermarket parts fit decent on nonamerican vehicles but not on good old American steel.
Posted via Mobile Device
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
v30crewcab

I leaned over my aftermarket fender and put a freakin dent in it, a week after I repainted the whole truck. they are junk. plus they never fit right.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
cory d

im glad the hail here never gets bigger than a blueberry
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

When I restored my 77 I bought everything through GM, fenders, doors, hood, bedsides, etc....

This was about 1998 or 99?? Was easy to get and actually cheaper than repairing what I had or any used stuff out there (when you figure material and labor).

I don't know if that stuff would still be available today, (haven't done a truck since) but for your 84 that is slightly newer it might be worth a shot. If not I'm certain NOS stuff is still out there. I don't care for the reproduction body panels, being a body/paint man for a living they always require finess (sometimes alot of work) for proper panel gaps.

Frankly, used stuff is going to have something wrong with it somewhere, to some extent, dents or rust or something. These old trucks were rarely pampered and taken care of. Might have better luck out West here finding something usable and then bite the bullet on shipping. Anything East of the Mississippi probably isn't worth looking at.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Weasel Diesel

I just got done putting Goodmark stuff on my truck. DEFINITELY NOT a bolt-on, line up & go product. Made in Taiwan and dont measure the same as OEM. One hell of a fight. They are on,... far from perfect in my book.
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
fireman428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Diesel View Post
I just got done putting Goodmark stuff on my truck. DEFINITELY NOT a bolt-on, line up & go product. Made in Taiwan and dont measure the same as OEM. One hell of a fight. They are on,... far from perfect in my book.
two words: buy american.
fireman428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Diesel View Post
Yep, I've had doors that no matter how they were mounted the gaps weren't to my liking. I had to remove the skin and refold to get the gaps correct.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
flashed

There was a complete body for sale on Craigslist recently in Canton or Woodstock area fairly cheap .If its still there you might get what you need and sell the rest.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Weasel Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman428 View Post
If I'd had known Thats where Goodmark stuff came from, I would have. But look at the bright side,.... I did get a Fortune cookie in the bottom of the box. The fortune read "Silly Amelican, you buy more my stuff, and you work for me in nudda 5 year"
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman428 View Post
Two words: Good Luck! Show me where to buy American made sheetmetal and I will gladly purchase it. If its ain't made in Taiwan its "Hecho in Mexico"

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote