The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
belowme51

little advise

So i have one truck that is pretty much done and ready but also a second truck that im right in the middle of but we are moving across country asap. Problem is the after stripping the sheet metal the truck is a bondo filled mess and would end up replaceing every possible part there is available. I have a pretty close to done chassis but the rest is no good. they do state inspections out there (virgina) where we are going. do you think its best to just strip the chassis and take my parts and leave behind the rest or keep the chassis and piece together the truck, but the only issue would be numbers matching vins on teh chassis to the cab. My thoughts were to strip it and find something solid out there and finish it(maybe a nice patina), pretty much start over.
What are your thoughts on this??
Thanks for your help
belowme51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
FL71C10

Re: little advise

I think you would have a much better chance of finding solid body parts where you live now, and then ship them to VA.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
belowme51

all of the panels will be replaced with new parts if i rebuild whats there. im not a fan of doing the rust repair fun...done once dont plan on it again lol. cheaper time/money wise to just put new metal. ill repair cab stuf if need be but dont really wanna do the whole truck again. the one that im finishing now after blasting all the panels i was in shock in how much damage was hidden over the years. but definetly have better selection in vegas for parts.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
FL71C10

yes, a good cab on the east coast only needs rockers and cab corners.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have been told that the title vehicle numbers need to match the numbers on the chassis. It still makes me nervous to think that having a cab, with a VIN that doesn't match the title, is no biggee. But, that's what I was told. I haven't checked with our DMV, but my replacement cab only has a Bill of Sale, and the VIN isn't what is on my title...although my title does match my chassis VIN.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
belowme51

this is why im thinking of just buying something solid while there, ebay,craigslist, etc and swaping over all the good stuff. They must match vins frame and cab in VA so swaps are difficult if you dont know someone to "miss" that part of it. Hot rods are the same way unless its a special construction which I do not want that title to the truck due to I would like to keep some authneticity of what it is. And if if need sheet metal it will be new. Id love to find a nice patina and im sure they have plenty out there just have to wait....it took weeks to get some brakes, months to get some wheels, so waiting is just part of it. I would like a realy registered 67-72 truck but still a resto mod. I dont want to have vin issues and dmv issues. I guess time will tell. Ill take the complete chassis with me and see what turns up over time.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
FL71C10

If you have the vin tag from the cab that matches the frame, I'd keep that and get the new rosette rivets to reattach it to whatever new cab you install. That way the Cab AND the frame will match the title.