The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
hjl

Gas tank replacement, poly vs steel?

It looks like I need to replace my gas tank. The gas gauge doesn't work -- the needle is stuck way past full, but I found out the hard way that was wrong. Also, my fuel filter is catching a lot of crud. The tanks looks pretty rusty, too. Straps are really rusty.

Anyway, I read as many threads as I could find, but couldn't determine which tank to go with. I found this:

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/cata...tank%20kit.htm

What are the pros / cons of steel vs polyethylene? This is a 2WD blazer, no off road driving, just trips to the ice cream parlor when the weather is nice, which is like 10 days out of the year in Buffalo.
hjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: Gas tank replacement, poly vs steel?

Is the tank rusted through? If it's not, I'd try cleaning it out and maybe a coat of canned bed liner before replacing it. The gauge fix may be as simple as the wiring as well which a new tank wouldn't fix.

As for steel vs poly?...I've never owned a poly and it's mainly because I don't care for the looks of them. I went with an aluminum tank from Boyd's here on the board for mine, but the main reason was that I liked how it tapered up towards the rear bumber...that and it looks "cool"...haha
Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
1972k5blazer

I swapped a tank in a 72 I had for a steel one from lmc and thought it was a easy swap everyone will tell you other than the tanks neck is not like the stock one for the blazer but I think there are ways around having to remove your old tank neck and putting it on a new steel tank .right now I have a 70 blazer with a poly tank and as soon as I can get a new steel one from lmc or where ever the poly one is gone for the life of me I can not make it not leak at the sending unit where is screws on to the poly tank ,when you fill it up it leaks till it gets down below that spot .i would love a custom alum tank but can't drop that much money on one !
Posted via Mobile Device
1972k5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
68panelman

Take your tank to a radiator shop and have them boil it out. They will also pressure test it. The guy i use does this for $40. Since you do not use your blazer to often, Your sending unit could be all gummed up too, giving you inacurate reading.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote