The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
laynrockers

Question LY5 + 4l60e power option ? and install ?

I have a Ly5 and rebuilt 4l60E on hold with Spalding Auto. For those not familiar they sell take out motors. This particular one had only 27,000 miles on it and the 4l60e is rebuilt by them. I went this route for the warranty and they do all the ecu tcu tuning, and harness, delete vats security feats ect. So when it arrives it is ready to drop in and fire. Since i am not very familiar with rebuilding these like most of you i chose this route.

Truck is a 66 c-10 LWB SBW.

I need help identifying all the other parts i will need to drop this motor in. I already have the motor mounts, transmission crossmember.

Can you all please help to steer me in the direction of what else I will need, what kind of shifter cable will work. I know I have seen a few use lokar. anything else ?? I will also need a new pan since My truck has a full PB kit.

I went with this motor for the AFM (active fuel management) but would be interested in a possible CAM swap and bolts on (new intake mani if it helps with the cam) anyone have documented or dyno runs with these improvements or any suggestions on CAM and mani??

Thanks fellas
laynrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: LY5 + 4l60e power option ? and install ?

you'll need the right length driveshaft, exhaust manifolds or headers that will fit, fuses/relays if not included with harness, efi fuel pump, shifter cable (B+m, lokar most should work, I'm using the B+M), DBW stuff if its a DBW motor, most people get an electric fan, rad hoses to make your existing rad work or a different radiator, transmission lines and cooler, electric speedo or electric to cable speedo convertor... There might be more.

Cam depends entirely on end goals, converter setup, what other parts you want to install. You'd need a certain variety of cam if you want to keep the vvt (07 has vvt right? correct me if I'm wrong guys). Any cam you get plan on upgrading the pushrods and springs at the same time, and think about a high volume oil pump. If you go too big on the cam, you may come into PTV issues (and you might want to find out if your heads where surfaced/decked when spaulding rebuilt it), that also changes PTV clearance and changes the required pushrod length.

If you want dyno proof on stuff, go the the forums at ls1tech; someone has tried everything at one point over there.

I'm forgetting stuff, but if you have more questions feel free.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
chevy72blu

You will also need a steam port added to your radiator, an electric speedometer, and conversion adapters/drill new holes for mechanical oil pressure/water temp gauges. From my understanding, your stock fuel tank can be used with an external EFI pump and vette' regulator, but using an unbaffled tank will cause problems below 1/4 tank of fuel. If using factory P/S you will need new fittings for your old hoses. Also, an intake/airfilter of some sort and a bracket/place to mount the PCM. Still learning myself, but this is a good way to remember what I need still
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
laynrockers

rigth on, thanks fellas I will start looking into the items listed.

I already have the power steering lines, power steering rack and pinion.

For my tank I was looking at the one from performance online i will check if it's baffled. If not i know a member on here makes customs tanks for mounting in the rear frame rails that are baffled.

"Br3w" I want the truck to be as reliable as possible so I am not looking for a wild CAM or anything else to push it. Just a mild CAM intake manifold air intake and of course exhaust and a good tune. I will check out LS1 but they have not been helpful in responding to my posts.

Thanks again fellas, let me know if you think of anything else.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
chevy72blu

I just noticed you are a fellow Vegas member

I read some advice today from either 68shortstep or Shifty that went along the lines of, "dive in head first rather than try to iron out details before you even get started". I too am the researching type so I have struggled with this, but the fact is there a ton of ways to accomplish this and it really comes down to what you want. If you dont want as many headaches, it costs extra $$. If you want to do it cheaply, then it will take some more time and creativity. Either way, it can be done.

What I have had to convince myself (as someone who is a lot better at admiring their truck than wrenching on it) is that there is nothing mystical about this swap. Lots of folks have done it and there are just as many if not more people who are willing to help. Bolt her up, plumb it, wire it, and enjoy. Dont sweat the small stuff and remember that you cant do a damn thing that you dont try. Preaching to the myself here
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
laynrockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72blu View Post
I just noticed you are a fellow Vegas member

I read some advice today from either 68shortstep or Shifty that went along the lines of, "dive in head first rather than try to iron out details before you even get started". I too am the researching type so I have struggled with this, but the fact is there a ton of ways to accomplish this and it really comes down to what you want. If you dont want as many headaches, it costs extra $$. If you want to do it cheaply, then it will take some more time and creativity. Either way, it can be done.

What I have had to convince myself (as someone who is a lot better at admiring their truck than wrenching on it) is that there is nothing mystical about this swap. Lots of folks have done it and there are just as many if not more people who are willing to help. Bolt her up, plumb it, wire it, and enjoy. Dont sweat the small stuff and remember that you cant do a damn thing that you dont try. Preaching to the myself here

Straight up, could'nt have said it better

I just want to have as many parts in front of me when it arrives so i dont have to slow down.. What motor tranny combo did you go with and what was your source??
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Hey Vegas Boys....
I just stopped by a shop today and talked with a guy that knows LS swaps. He is mainly into Jeep JK stuff, but I will probably have him build me a harness in the next couple weeks. He seems knowledgeable and best of all is local if I should run into any problems. He’s on the corner of Alta at 500 S. Buffalo. The website is http://www.lswrangler.com . His name is Robbie and tell him Rich with the 72 K5 Blazer sent you….. 702-782-4434

PS: Robbie said that with a stock VVT 5.3L they were able to smoke all 4 big tires on a Jeep JK that was heavy with heavy bumpers, a winch and body armor...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
laynrockers

Wow, learn something new everyday. I drive by there probably 3-4 times a week and always thought they were just a tune and lube place. I will definitly stop by and chat with them I am sure they can answere all my questions and help out if needed.

Thanks for the tip brotha
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
chevy72blu

Very cool MCM!!

I'll give him a call about my harness/PCM. I planned to go with Speartech but local is always better (someone to ***** at when it doesnt work, or more likely, someone to call when I screw it up)

Also good to know I have some backup if I run into something that I absolutely cant handle.

Laynrockers, I am installing an LS1/4l60E out of an 02' T/A Ws6, 60k miles. Found a local guy (who also has a 70' SWB) on craigslist about some parts. We got to talking and ended up working out a deal to trade straight across for my unfired BBC/TH350 combo - he saw the LS1 run for several hours on a stand. Couldnt have worked out better