The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Fenhold

52 pickup hood hinges

Hello,
Trying to do some rough out adjustment for trimming out the aftermarket inner fenders I have and need to get the hood roughly in place. With the new hinges bolted in the lowest position possible there is a 2" gap between the hood and cowl when closed. If I press down on the hood the springs compress and the gap reduces to just under an inch, but springs back up. I dropped the lower bolt out of the spring hinge and lowered the hood. The gap was much better, especially if I lift the front of the hood and press inward. Looking at the outer hinge there is some gap between the hinge plate and cowl where it is at an angle. Is it "normal" to need to re-drill the bolt holes in the cowl when using aftermarket hinges? I have the Stove Bolt guide for aligning the hood, but that will be helpful when I am closer. Any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
Fenhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
mknittle

Re: 52 pickup hood hinges

post some pictures we can't even make a guess without seeing the problem.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Fenhold

I'm working on reducing the file size so I can post them.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Fenhold

Ok got it

The first pic shows the gap I am referring to. In this pic the bolts are loosened causing the hinge plates to move outward, however the gap between the body and the hinge where the paint is in the foreground remains basically the same when tightened. So just to be clear, the part of the cowl that is at a 45 degree angle (the area between the bolts) has a 3/8" or so gap when the hinge plate is sitting against the body. It seems like the holes in the body need to be re-drilled lower.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fenhold; 06-19-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
mknittle

I hate tosound like i am complaning but could you take one from farther back.
Hreris what my stock ones look like if that helps.
I can get one with a hood on if that will help.
Attached Images

My GMC build.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
coralhead

I just went through the same thing. Do NOT have the hood support springs attached when getting the hinges adjusted. Snug up the lower outer bolts (heads outside) and get the two inner ones started. Remove the hood latch plate and lowerthe hood and set the gap between the hood and the cowel to around 1/4" and center the hood left/right at the fenderfronts. Then slightly lift the hood and place a 2 x 4 under the front of the hood (4 inch gap) and then go back to the hood by the hinges and press the hood edge down tight against the anti-squeak strip and tighted the inside hinge bolts. Do this to both sides and then raise the hood and tighten the the outside bolts on the hinge. After this you can re-attach the support arms and then see if that tightens up the gap at the cowel. Like I said I did the same thing on Sunday and had a huge gap as you did, then read the manual and now the hood is tight.

John
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralhead View Post
I just went through the same thing. Do NOT have the hood support springs attached when getting the hinges adjusted. Snug up the lower outer bolts (heads outside) and get the two inner ones started. Remove the hood latch plate and lowerthe hood and set the gap between the hood and the cowel to around 1/4" and center the hood left/right at the fenderfronts. Then slightly lift the hood and place a 2 x 4 under the front of the hood (4 inch gap) and then go back to the hood by the hinges and press the hood edge down tight against the anti-squeak strip and tighted the inside hinge bolts. Do this to both sides and then raise the hood and tighten the the outside bolts on the hinge. After this you can re-attach the support arms and then see if that tightens up the gap at the cowel. Like I said I did the same thing on Sunday and had a huge gap as you did, then read the manual and now the hood is tight.

John
Thanks John.

My GMC build.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Fenhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralhead View Post

John
Thank you (both) for responding!! Just to be clear the truck if FAR from done and I am actually doing this to get the fender position close so I can trim the *****in Products inner fenders to clearance the suspension. I have the *****in Products adjustable core support to match the inner fenders. The fenders are roughly in position as are the air deflectors from the inner fender kit just to tie the front end together to the core support. I gave what you suggested a shot (which I know is the correct way to do it) and didn't end up with good results. I was suspicious of the hole alignment before I did all of the above so when I had the hood off I pulled the hood hinge bolts out and set it so all planes of it were flush against the cowl. Looking through the mounting holes the factory holes were just barely visible as a sliver at the top of the hinge plate holes so I marked the hole centers. The difference was about 3/8 of an inch. Also the 3 holes just barely line up as it is so there is some front/back movement but almost no up down movement. I put the hinges back in place, tightened the outer bolts and left the inner bolts a little loose and hefted the hood back on. Same huge gap regardless of shifting it around. when I lift the hood part way as if to put a 2x4 there is a point where the hood nearly touches the cowl. I set a block in the front and tightened the inner bolts, Still no good. After I still had about the same gap I pulled the outer bolts out and had a little better luck but it is still pretty poor. I simply cannot seem to get less gap. I guess what I want to hear is "drill the holes lower" but want to do this right.

Here's how it sits with only the two inner bolts in finger tight and shifted all the way back and down.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Roddude

Here is a link that give you step by step instructions from a GM Service manual. It says 54 but there all the same.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...4ctsm1104.html
Roddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Fenhold

Thank you! I'll give this a try.