The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Southpa

When to rebuild??

Its been a while since I've posted anything on here. I think the last time I was inquiring about blowing 3A fuses for my dash lighting. I was directed to other threads where it had already been discussed and I just recently solved my problem, something new. I pulled the dash out and inspected the PCB on the back. Fould a broken copper connection and I guess it was causing a little bit of intermittent shorting, sort of a come and go problem. Soldered a bridge across the connection, replaced one bulb and viola!

OK, now for the current issue. I been driving my 1970 GMC since 1995.

In all that time I've crawled all over that thing, repairing, replacing, modding etc. etc. You can check the archives on this site and read about it, But I have NEVER been very far inside the engine, replaced the valve seals 2X, fuel pump once, couple starters and alts, tune-up kits the usual crap over that amount of time.

I've been collecting various items towards a rebuil;d, got an Edelbrock 650 CFM offroad carb. , Edelbrock Performer intake, low mileage cam to go in and might do headers over the ram horns. The problem is the truck is still running strong and has good oil pressure. It sounds a little sloppy under the valve covers and likes gas (what 350 doesn't?) but I can't decide to go ahead and get this done or leave it for another year? Its now only a summer vehicle, btw, I use a little front wheel drive Toyota in the winter now.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
slikside

Re: When to rebuild??

I guess it just comes down to whether you WANT to deal/do it now...Sounds like you don't HAVE to. If you have the money/parts and the time, and you want to do it, go for it. If you have all the above, and don't want to do it now, then don't, just enjoy driving it this summer. It's all up to you. If it was running like crap, that would be different story obviously.

Good luck, and what ever you do, have fun with it!
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
ole dollor

WOW: thats a big pic......nice truck
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Car'n'Guitars

If you only drive it in summer, drive it for the rest of the summer then in winter if you decide to rebuild it that will give you something to do while there is tons of snow outside.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote