The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Truthamedia

Can I use a car dolly?

I am going to be picking up a 1972 longbed 2wd c10. Can I use just an average uhaul dolly? They say it is for front wheel drive cars so I have always just used a tilt trailer. any help would be appreciated
Truthamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
RPBurris

Re: Can I use a car dolly?

You may want to disconnect the drive shaft at the rear end. I have heard that towing rear wheel drive vehicles on a dolly in nuetral will burn up the trans because there is no fluid moving in there while the vehicle is moving. That was an automatic. Just what i have heard but seems to make sense to me. I would think a manual trans in neutral would be fine.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
bean

2nd that on disconnecting the drive shaft. I pulled mine from temple, tx to fort worth, tx (about 2 hr trip) on a car dolly without a problem
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
oldgoalie

Neither an auto or a manual should be towed very far with the driveline in. The auto has to be running to lube. Towing the stanadard in nuetral only turns the mainshaft/output shaft. The gears are all stationary and have to turn to lube. Be safe pull the driveline.
oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
sir_talk_alot

Our trucks don't fit on uhaul dollys very well. Guy who bought my 68 longbed used one. Tires sat on edge of tire wells, when he ratched them down it flattned the tires, and sides of tires pushed on dolly fenders. He got it home, and I did unhook the driveshaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
jocko

Uhaul would not rent one to me for my 66. I suppose you don't necessarily have to tell them what you're haulin. But, I'd get a car hauler anyway. If it physically "fits" in the dolly, then short distance no problema, but I'd still use a hauler for long distances. Sure, someone has done it without any problems - but do you really want to be the statistic that proves them wrong?

I feel your pain, I was pretty frustrated that they wouldn't rent me a dolly (ok I was really frustrated that I actually told em I was going to dolly a truck...) but having used both, I would not use a dolly for any long distance hauls.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I towed my 69 a short distance (20 miles) with a car dolly but you have to make sure you have the original narrow rim wheels and tires on it. Most trucks have been changed to the wider rims and tires these days and these will not fit.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
hugger6933

The dolly I have is a pretty good one and I have pulled trucks on it but I don't like to the drive shaft does need to come out .I have had haulers bring trucks in to my shop from the sale with driveshfts in and had to put trans in almost everyone done that way . I would see them come and get sick to my stomach. They finally caught on and started pulling driveshaft. I've had some lost too cause they would tie them up and lose them on the interstate. Back to thedolly, if not careful or if you get in a bind and have to turn very sharp it will get the fenders into the doors.[Don't ask how I know!!] right in the middle and put pucker dents in them. I also found that to be true to the Cadilaic I built for my wife as well[ the big one] If possible save the headache and try to get a trailer.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I've hauled a '72 Blazer with 11-15 tires on 8" wheels with a rented dolly,but not U-Haul. That was about 150 miles. I towed just a rolling '71 frame from Hart Rob's house in Pensacola,FL to Maryland on a U-Haul dolly. People haul these things all the time with them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Truthamedia

Mkay. 30 bucks extra isnt going to kill me to get a tilt trailer. (if only i owned one) sounds like there's enough to go wrong that my pa wouldnt want to use his truck to haul a dolly with my truck on it.
Truthamedia is offline   Reply With Quote